• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front bumper end cap removal 2000 XJ

summit94

NAXJA Forum User
13-2 of FSM begins, "(1) Remove the rivet attaching the end cap to the air deflector."

It ends, "(4) Install the rivet attaching the end cap to air deflector."

Are the rivets on the front bumper assembly one-time-only throwaways, or are they designed for multiple use? If the latter, can someone explain how they are removed/installed?

tia,

summit94 [about to begin installing factory front tow hooks]

Rivets are not designed to be reusable. Remove the rivets using you favorite power tool, and replace them with a short bolt and nut. I'd use a carriage bolt and nylock nut if doing the work myself.

Have fun with the installation, and I hope you get to test your work out soon!

Actually you don't need to remove them at all. Just unbolt the bumper brackets from the body. When you reinstall you will need to pop the end caps loose enough to get to the torx bolts to adjust the brackets on the bumper so it will fit over the tow hook kit. Don't bolt the hooks to the brackets until you reinstall the bumper it's easier to get them into place if you choose not to trim the lower valance.

They aren't reusable, but I believe NAPA sells a Belkamp equivalent. I had to buy some, but I don't recall if it was for the rear bumper trim under the hatch or for the airdam. 4" black zipties will also work.

As far as removing the plastic rivets, you either need something to push the stud in until the tabs release, or just cut them off with dikes or whatever.

Back