• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Deep fried wiring

Kate

NAXJA Forum User
The ground wire for my electric windows broke at the driver's door hinge last night and the short killed the engine. He wouldn't restart, so I had to walk home and get my truck in order to make it to work. Any idea what I may have cooked, or do I need to take my truck and Master Card to NAPA and get one of everything?

1989 Cherokee
Automatic

I don't know what to tell you, a broken ground in the door shouldn't affect the Engine unless you have some sort of serious ground fault.

The power windows get power from a circuit breaker in the fuse bloke. A little metal square case about 3/4 inch long, center near the bottom.

The power to the circuit breaker comes from a fusible link. Fusible links are half inch diameter cylinders about an inch or so long built into the wiring near the starter relay. there are four in this area. One of the two green ones is for the window power. Fusible links are like master fuses, they may be the main fuses for many sub systems.

It's possible a blown fusible link could affect engine electrical power, the ECU or other sub systems. A fusible link shouldn't blow form anything to do with the electric window circuit, that is what the circuit breaker in the fuse block is for.

It is pretty common for the circuit breaker to be kicked and fall out of the fuse block. The same with the wind sheild wiper circuit breaker.

No power to anything. Does not crank. When it suddenly quit running I opened my door, and smoke was coming from the wires. The ground wire was burned in half.

Had something similar happen on a mustang one time. The computer had shorted out after my buddy hooked up the battery backwards, and the ground to the computer had failed to be hooked up when we were building the car and it burnt up some wires searching for a ground when I cranked the motor. It melted some unrelated wires behind the dash. Not sure if that helps any, just my $.02

I was sort of hoping that nobody would suggest that. My poor old body feels enough like a pretzel without bending under a dashboard. Guess my neighbors are due for some entertainment and vocabulary enrichment while I check it out.

Tracked down my problem yesterday, thanks to you guys. It was a fusible link and a cooked positive battery cable. I cobbled it together to make sure that really was the problem, and picked up the parts today. Tomorrow I will fix it right, and Ol' Blue will be back on the road. 10 years ago, I could have done the whole job in an afternoon, but now I'm old and slow. I also have another project that requires a lot of my time. My mare is due to foal any day.

Tracked down my problem yesterday, thanks to you guys. It was a fusible link and a cooked positive battery cable.glad you figured it out! I cobbled it together to make sure that really was the problem, and picked up the parts today. Tomorrow I will fix it right, and Ol' Blue will be back on the road. 10 years ago, I could have done the whole job in an afternoon, but now I'm old and slow.I know that feeling.. I also have another project that requires a lot of my time. My mare is due to foal any day.something I've never had the fortune to witness-- wish you were closer, I'd offer some assistance for a chance to see that!!

All help welcome. I haven't slept in a barn for years, and I'm already tired of it. This mare was not supposed to have been bred.

I'll have to take a rain check this time:(

and the last time I slept in a barn... well that's a entirely different story:gee:
but at least you've got one of your events on a predictable schedule-- assuming the other event doesn't interrupt your plans!:clap:

I'm just glad that these little guys are so easy to work on and all of you guys are here to help when I can't figure out the problem by myself.

NAPA was unable to find anything that even resembled the part that I needed, so I cobbled up a wire with an inline fuse and used that to get the car running. I ran him into town last night, and he purred like a tiger.

I will admit to being a bit prejudiced, but she is one of the nicest looking foals that I have seen in years. I suspect that she will become a lineback dun when she loses her baby fur.

Back