• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cant get speedo gear into new SYE

twodoorXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Like the title says, my speedometer gear will not go all the way into the SYE tail housing (rugged ridge sye). I line the proper numbers on the speedo gear, and press it it wont go in, ive tried every number combination.

I can get the speedo gear housing in by itself without the gear, i tried re using my stock 29 tooth, cant get that one in either. I tried taking the o ring off and getting it in, but no matter what i do it will not go in the last 1/8-1/16 of an inch.

IMAG0180.jpg

I verified that the both gears are meshing together properly, but for some reason it just will not go in.

Thanks!

Pix of old vs. new gear?

Talked to Tony(?) at baseline4x4 where i got the SYE. He told me a few weeks back they had another guy with this same problem, turns out something inside of the SYE housing is out of spec, and wont allow the speedo gear to go all the way in. He recomended to me cutting the speedo gear that much.

Ill try that with my old one, and see what happens. Hopefully i can get the proper SYE tail housing.

I'm glad you posted this. My speedo had quit working a little while ago and i finally got around to checking, looks like i have the same problem. Did you just cut a little off the snout of the gear?
I basically forced mine in there and it chewed up the plastic housing a little bit, but otherwise i think i'm okay. What a pain, though!

I'm glad you posted this. My speedo had quit working a little while ago and i finally got around to checking, looks like i have the same problem. Did you just cut a little off the snout of the gear?
I basically forced mine in there and it chewed up the plastic housing a little bit, but otherwise i think i'm okay. What a pain, though!

Yup i cut about an 1/8 inch off

Back