• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to jeeps and to socal

silverduck842

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking for a good project preferably a 4.0 and a five speed. Really just a good foundation to start from. I figure it can’t hurt to ask if anybody knows of an xj hiding somewhere. Looking to spend about 2000 to 3000 to pick up a decent vehicle. Also what should I be checking when I go look at a xj, any problem spots?

First welcome to socal and naxja. When you look at vehicles rear main leak is big, want to hear the engine start dead cold to listen for engine noise (but be able know the difference between rod/main piston slap and valve train noise cause all jeeps have valve train noise). What rear end does it have. When was it last reg, if it has been a long time you can call AAA to find out how much reg is going to be. Hmm what tcase does it have np231 or np242 (dunno if they put nore then that). But 231 will have 2wd 4hi and 4lo, 242 will have 2wd full time 4 part time 4 and 4 lo. Tires look for tire rot, tread dept. And drive the car shift the tcase. If your not to mechaniclly inclined there is a lot of folks all over so cal post up and see if someone can go look at one w you. If you find one in oc id be happy to scout it for you. Gl I know there are a few pplz looking for jeeps right now.

Peace
Ted

Some guys have recently been searching for XJs and had a difficult time finding goods ones at good prices. You can search for their threads.

Here's some notes that I got when I was looking for mine:

"
1. Check the back hatch and frame around it for cracks up top.
2. The 4.0 HO generally lasts more then 250,000 miles. But if it is a rebuild, some people rebuild good some don't.
3. Lots of areas in LA/OC/San Diego where they are to far from dirt roads to likely off roaded.
4. Check wear on front tires, front suspensions tend to wear out, not very costly but you get into deciding to do the $1000 1 ton upgrade and frame braces.

5. You have to decide if you are going to want to do your own upgrades. I have heard a lot of comments about buying someone else bad upgrades. But seriously, unless you are going to do serious 4wheeling many of the mediocre upgrades are OK (now comes the flames). ie. if someone has a mediocre lift kit, 31" tires, nerf bars then you can wheel for a year or two on milder trails...then you will understand what you want.

again, a fabulous jeep for about $2000, you have to be ready to remedy some defects. Lots of guys here and on naxja have written a lot of good stuff to deal with all the questions...actually the answers to your questions have been answered regularly in the archieves.

Cooling system, check the radiator and look for signs of previous overheating. The radiators on these things are marginal and will plug up. If you can get it up to operating temperature, shut it off and feel
for cold spots on the core.

Oil leaks, rear mains tend to leak pretty bad, easy fix but you can use it to leverage the price down. 2000 and 2001 had low pinion front axles which were weaker. There were 1 or two years around 99-2000 that had head cracking issues. Other than that, look for body damage. There are a lot of them that are all shiney on top and beat to hell underneath. :) Oh, and when you're inspecting it and pointing out the problems, Point out the cost to fix. :) Example: on mine the guy was quoted $800 to fix the rear main seal, he told me the trans had to come out (which it doesn't). We knocked down the
price on Carol's CRV from like 4 grand to 2500 or so just by tearing it apart and giving "cost to fix" to the guy. Then she spent like 500 bucks to do the valve seals and toss a new cat in it. :)"

Good luck in your hunt.
~R

Good luck.......I'm currently writing a book called "The Myth of the Good Deal XJ" and the sequel, "4x4 XJ...The New Gold Rush"
I also need to find one, hopefully by this weekend. I look at at least one per day, sometimes 4.
The worst part, is sellers completely lying about the vehicle condition.

OP, JeepCherokeeGuy99 has a 92 XJ 4.0L/5-spd 2wd for sale..

Good luck.......I'm currently writing a book called "The Myth of the Good Deal XJ" and the sequel, "4x4 XJ...The New Gold Rush"
I also need to find one, hopefully by this weekend. I look at at least one per day, sometimes 4.
you need to ask more specific questions. and make sure they realize if they're lying, you wont be happy that they wasted your time. Portray some authoritay!!:scottm: not saying threaten them, but stress the importance that it's a long drive and your time is valuable. If you seem too eager, they'll tell you things you'll want to hear.
also ask questions that make you look like an XJ pro, even if you have to read the crap off the internet while you're on the phone. Makes them think they're not going to fool you so why bother. lie and say you're a jeep mechanic if you need to.
also, you snooze, you loose. you missed a decent jeep on here when several of us posted it up in your thread. you waited days to even say anything, and it was too late. if it's any good and a decent price, it will be gone very quickly, no matter what vehicle it is. there are people that sit on the internet all day and buy decent priced cars only to resell them and make a few hundred-thousand bucks, which is likely all these overpriced ones you've been seeing.

I don't know why you're having such a hard time..? The deals are out there, just have to jump on them when they come up. This year already I've bought two under $1k in great condition.

When buying something 11+ years old don't expect everything to be perfect. Unibody condition is important, and too some interior/exterior.other stuff like leaking rear main seal, leaking valve cover gasket, and what not all works in you're favor price wise (if you can do the Work your self).
Most times if your to picky expect to pay more.

Thank you all for the input. Are there any problem spots with rust on these vehicles? I am a mechanic by trade so not afraid to tear down an engine or a gear box or swapping things out. But never any real experience with a unibody vehicle.

unlikely you'll run into any serious rust issues with a southern california vehicle.

lol. Seriously. I'm heading "to the Riverside" this afternoon to get that 90.
Now, 4.5" lift needed, and all the fun stuff to go along with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking about flying out to Tucson and driving this one home...

http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/2942713136.html

It's posted by a Zona chapter NAXJA member.

$2,250

4.10's locked on 32's with long arms. 8.8 rear with disc brakes.

Looks like the Engine has been maintained...

Sliders and some skids and it's ready to go a lot of places.

Last edited:
good for you man, hope it works out for ya. i know it's been a long search. it looks really clean in the pics. building it yourself is half the fun, and you know it's done right. mine was fairly stock/unwheeled when i got it, so i know it didnt have a ton of cracks in the body. it's much easier to start with a clean platform than trying to go through and reinforce a bunch of cracks after the fact IMO. It takes what, 2 days to weld on some stiffeners and bolt on a lift?

Back