• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

metallic clonk when releasing clutch

mmag1982

NAXJA Forum User
i hear a metallic clonking noise when i release the clutch running at idle. At the last one third of clutch travel if i release my foot fast and in neutral of course with engine running.

my XJ is 2001 4.0 with a NV3550.
I also noticed it sometimes happens also between the 1 2 shift or as i'm parking between reverse and 1st.
whats annoying is that after a long drive when the car is hot, as i turn off the engine i hear this clonking noise for around 1 to 2 seconds as the engine is turned off.
If i press the clutch as im turning off the engine, the engine dies smoothly and it doesn't happen, obviously it has to do with the clutch/transmission.

I recently replaced the clutch and release bearing with mopar items, big improvement in clutch weight and feel, but the clonk is still there. the engine and transmission mounts look very decent too.

what can this be?

Back