• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

O2 sensor recommendation?

Jeepguy03

NAXJA Forum User
I'm replacing the pre-cats on my 2000 Cherokee 4.0L. The jeep has 120k miles on it, and I figured it would be easiest to replace all 4 O2 sensors at the same time.

Are there any recommendations as to what brand to buy? I've been looking on RockAuto.com (have the 5% discount). These aren't really something I want to replace more than once. I'm thinking about going with the Bosch. Any advice?

Thanks. :cheers:

Ok, thanks guys! :cheers:

Bosch invented the automotive oxygen sensor, but every once in a while there have been reports of the Bosch sensors not working so well with the 4.0 engine. Some can run the Bosch without issue though.

I believe the electrical specs on the heater circuit are a bit different, and there may be other differences as well.

Really never see any issues with NTK, which are widely available.

Never use the "universal" type no-name sensors available on ebay. Plenty of cheap charly sensors floating around in "the bay". I never buy any engine management sensors on ebay UNLESS the brand is confirmed.

Last edited:
x3 on NTK.

These are the best out there now. Bosch automotive parts quality has went down hill (notice the number of Bosch boxes in Autozone, the 'leader' in quality auto parts). I don't recommend Bosch for anything, unless you have no other choice in the matter.

Anyone who has had to deal with OEM Bosch EFI systems on VW's or BMW's has probably had a fit with the inane design of their systems. I saw the same problems with their controls in the pharmaceutical plant I used to work at. Lots of failures, much more so than similar components from Honeywell. I think the Germans over-engineer their stuff, but in the bad too-complex way not the good rugged & durable way.

NTK is the OEM for a lot of Japanese vehicles, but just don't have the name recognition as Bosch does. I've had several vehicles have Bosch sensors fail shortly after installation, which led me to quit putting them in to anyone's car.

Do not use Bosch at all. I went through 4 on the upstream 02 sensor within 2 weeks. Then I went to NAPA and got an NTK.

NTK is the only way to go for 02 sensors just like Bosch is the only way to go with fuel pumps.

Good to know, I will be ordering the NTK sensors. Thanks guys for the help! I'm not looking forward to replacing the pre-cats, it looks like a major pain. :gonnablow

^^Agreed. If the part is not made to fit, don't use it.

And I use NTKs as well. Replaced my upstream when I installed the F/IC and my wideband. Was just making the best effort...

I need to replace mine also. I have a 2000 and my gas milage went to hell, no CEL, no pending codes. What NTK part #'s do I need for upstream(front and rear) and downstream? I can't quit figure it out, sevreal are listed on rockauto.com. Help.... as I am taking a roadtrip next weekend and would love to get back my 5-6mpg I lost.

part #'s maybe 23151, 23506, 23099(pretty sure this is the rear I need)

beating a dead horse... NTK's are the way to go on our 4.0's.

What pre-cat did you go with on your '00? I think it's time for me to swap out the pre-cat on my '01 and I just don't see many threads on it here.

I just replaced both of my O2 sensors (my 2000 doesn't have California emissions) with Bosch sensors. So far so good - no CEL, runs great and I'm even getting about 25 extra miles out of each tank of gas! :clap:

Leaking antifreeze, head gasket issues can take out an O2 sensor real fast, and the late model XJs have head cracking issues in the 0331 heads. I have read that the NTK sensor used in Saturns is less sensitive to sensor contamination in their sensor design, than are others, like Bosch.

Mine are Renix and use BOSCH, but my Saturn, 2001 uses the NTK. My son's 96 is using Bosch.

Be interesting if some one tried swapping back and forth from one to the other in multiple full gas tank tests to compare fuel economy.

I used to be all Bosch--they invented it, go with them--but after a couple of bad ones I switched to NTK EXCEPT for some vehicles that are known to throw codes unless you use the OEM sensors like the late model Toyota Tundras. I think the PCMs are getting more sensitive.

part #'s maybe 23151, 23506, 23099(pretty sure this is the rear I need)

i just picked up four of these myself

put some banks header in and the old ones are stuck in there. Went with bosch due to it being on stock at Oriely's but i can get all four for $20 more and return the others so i figured heck why not.

the old rear downstream wont come out :( after soaking it periodically in PB the last few days I gave it another go and it sheared a corner off... looks like ill be getting creative on that one. So yea, may wanna start spraying before hand haha

oh my this is from last may not this may hahaha oops

Last edited:
Back