• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel pattern issue

doneninc

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. So I got a 98 XJ. I'm in the middle of swapping out my rear axle to a Ford 8.8. I still have the HP D30 up front but will be swapping in a D44 soon. I just picked up a set of 37" H1 tires and I'm going to be picking up a custom set of H1 beadlocks.

The front D44 is going to be a 5x5.5 bolt pattern and the rear will be the factory 5x4.5. I want to be able to drive with the 37's and the front D30 around town until I'm able to swap out to a D44.

Which bolt pattern wheels should I get? 5x4.5 for now and then run an adaptor for the front D44 when I get it installed? Then I'll have an issue with the front being too wide with the adaptor. Or should I get 5x5.5 wheels now, run 4 adaptors and then just run the rear adaptors when I install the front D44? Only concern I have with that is my wheels are going to have a backspace of 3.5" and then running adaptors I think my wheels will sit wayyyyy out there!

The 8.8 is usually a little over 1" narrower than the stock width. I would buy all 5x5.5 now and run the rear adapters. The biggest reason is that I believe the D44 front's hub is too big to fit in the center hole of the 5x4.5 wheels (I think that's right).

I agree with SolarBell's answer, but there is another option as well: install Superior super88 kit in the 8.8 - chromoly axles, c-clip eliminator, stock track width, and the flanges are drilled for both 5x4.5 and 5x5.5. You pay a bit more than for rear spacers, but you get more as well.

In either case, I'd go with 5x5.5 wheels.

Back