• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 Cherokee NP242 WTF?

MissMopar89

NAXJA Forum User
So; I have an 89 pioneer/wagoneer with an NP 242, the linkage is definitely screwed up, however, I realize only owning a 98 XJ prior and having no knowledge of anything much different than the familiar 231, I'm not even sure how it works... When shifting through 4x4 gears, it seems to skip past part time 4x4 and clicks directly into "full time." Before I have to pull the lever to theright for N and 4lo. Should in normal circumstances should there be a distinc click-in to both part and full time?
4lo doesn't seem to work at all...
I have a parts tcase now, what are typical things I should be looking at? It looks like the chain has been replaced, among other things?

The positions are pretty distinct on my 242. I can definitely feel 4x high range before it moves to 4x full time. If 4x low isn't working at all, I'd guess that the case has internal problems and not trouble with the linkage.

It will "shift right past" the 4x part time to full time...no real detent. I usually pause in 4x part time, then shift to full time. Do the dash lights operate? wait for them...sometimes it takes a few seconds. It's possible to shift from 2x to 4xLow directly if you pull it all the way back...I usually don't do that.

Do you have the owner's manual? The instructions on the visor? Follow them...read them...

Back