• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swaybar with OTK DOM steering

Jeep450r

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Not too long ago I set up some DOM steering with heims for my XJ, set up OTK. Heres the best pic I have showing it.

HollisterJan2012_IMG_9420.jpg

I had to chop off the stock swaybar mounts to everything would clear and now I need to figure out how to make my swaybars functional again.

So I bought some raised swaybar mounts a few weeks ago hoping they would clear my steering. Nope! So I notched a chunk out of them.

IMG_2229.jpg

Now it clears my tie rod!

IMG_2234-1.jpg

Now it should work, right? Not with my luck! It sits a little too far over..

IMG_2236.jpg

I could throw a bunch of washers in that open space as shims, or cut a spacer out of a big chunk of metal to fill that space, but I dont feel comfortable with that. There would be WAY too much force put on that in turns, especially with the added leverage due to the sway bar being offset so much to the side and the weak spot I created with those big notches.

So before I throw those $45 sway bar mounts into the trash, does anybody have any idea what I can do here? Are there other swaybar options I could try out? Different style mounts? Should I just gusset the crap out of these and run them?

What did you guys do to get your swaybars back?

Parents say I need it fixed by next weekend or the jeep is getting parked and will collect dust at home while I go back up to college :hang:

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

-Kevin

Sounds similar to my current idea..

Heres a super crappy rough sketch of the idea I have. The blue would be a metal sleeve around the bolt, welded to the bracket. The green would be a triangular gusset welded to the bracket and to the bottom of the sleeve.

IMG_2236-1.jpg

I dont really like this idea because of the amount of leverage that it would put on the mounts (that are already hacked up).. But i can't seem to find any other options at this point.

Yay? Nay? Other ideas?

-Kevin

Is there room to mount the extension on the inside of the coil bucket next to the trackbar mount, and run the bolt through the swaybar link the opposite way?

If you do that, make sure to put a piece of 1/4" on the outside of the sway bar mount to stiffen it up around the piece you cut out to prevent twisting. The suggestion from etatum21 is also pretty good.

Unfortunately, there is no room between the coil bucket and the track bar mount.

I am simply planning on gusseting like I showed in my janky picture, and trying to figure out another gusset for the backside like SolarBell mentioned.

Thanks for the help guys!

Is there room to mount the extension on the inside of the coil bucket next to the trackbar mount, and run the bolt through the swaybar link the opposite way?

This is the way to go. I mounted my pass. side mount to new OTA track bar bracket (you'll need to box it out first) and the driver side to the stock location. Didn't gusset the drivers one enough and it busted off. That notching probably isn't going to fly, there's a lot of stress on the mounts especially when you extend them.

Last edited:
What coil buckets are you using, stock? Does that steering setup hit them when turned at full lock?

And I have pretty much the same steering setup. Haven't run a sway bar front or rear in a few years. I don't exactly recommend it, but then again you shouldn't be driving a lifted Jeep like a sports car either.

Why can't you just push them on all the way and run them-drop links, at an angle?

Why can't you just push them on all the way and run them-drop links, at an angle?

Only problem with that is it will be a pain (if not impossible) to slide the link back on after I disconnect for the trail. Im going to try to fix it up today and tomorrow and we will see what happens!

Thanks guy!

Back