• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what do you guys mount up on you roof racks and how?

caspertheog

NAXJA Forum User
what do you guys mount up on your roof racks and how?

I think this could be a cool thread.. im mostly in need of ideas to throw shit on top of my jeep.. i have a rack and the only thing i have on it is two 9" procomp lights and 31" tire :) i might get a smittybuilt c02 tank tomorrow and try to put it up there... but i want it secured... any random crap you guys put up on your racks id love to see.
Thanks guys!

ill try to figure out how to post pics and take some tomorrow in the day time.

Last edited:
I have a Thule car top carrier. The bullet shaped enclosed plastic one. I know, it is rather "domestic", and I can't fit a spare tire in there, but it does keep all my stuff dry.

Bikes, boats, snowboards, fishing poles... Nothing permanent or while I'm wheeling. That's why we have a station wagon.

I keep my axe up there, bolted with 2 u-bolts. It would be less work to break a window and steal things from my jeep. If you have the balls to climb on my jeep, and you have a wrench, you can have my $14 axe. Of course if I catch you on my jeep you may be buried with it.

i bolt 2 entire spare rearends up there with spare tires on each hub.

if i roll it we just strap my jeep and tow it out of the trail upside down.

Don't forget the kitchen sink. Roof racks are for whatever you want to show off at the mall.

I took my roof rack off because anything that makes your jeep more top heavy is a bad idea. I got trail damage that could of been avoided simply because I did have a rack at the time, I got pretty off camber and the weight shifted and I tilted into some rocks... Just a thought about adding weight up top.

I stack mostly single item high and strapped to the floor kind of like this.
d7e2a6ec.jpg

I'll lay down the back seat if need more room for stuff.

Nothing on the roof, spare tire inside. Weight low and forward makes for better trail performance. Of course, if you're going on a camping run you need to put stuff on the roof rack, but otherwise as little as possible.

Unless, of course, you just want to look cool driving your Jeep around town. :D

I am one of those that want it all on top. I plan on high lift, shovel, axe, lights, pick axe, gold pans, gun turret, flag pole holder, stripper pole mount, fishing rod holders, gun rack, cb antenna, sled type things to help getting unstuck, and more that I can't think of.

I love my rack when I'm camping. I hate my rack anytime else. I love the way it makes my jeep look. I don't like how it tries to pull me over when I get off camber.

I love my rack when I'm camping. I hate my rack anytime else. I love the way it makes my jeep look. I don't like how it tries to pull me over when I get off camber.

After reading things like this I guess I'll put the roof rack in the bottom of my 'To Do List'.

blah blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah, STRIPPER POLE, blah blah blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah.

Excellent point. Wait..... what were we talking about??

:sunshine:

I like having a rack because it makes the Jeep more practical than my pickup truck in some respects (e.g. I can carry a ladder more easily than I can in a pickup truck.)

I don't really want stuff strapped to it on a daily basis. The rack itself (mine is just pieced together Thule stuff, I don't have a basket) probably hurts gas mileage without a fairing, but I haven't been able to track one down for cheap (Thule stuff is expensive if you buy it somewhere other than craigslist...)

Back