• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

30x9.50 R15 alternative on Budget Boost?

jjnavarro

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Hi All,
My 99xj is running 30x9.50 R15 Wrangler MT/Rs that are due for replacement. I'd like to go for a quieter tire this time.
I have 2" spacers in the front, and extended shackles and a AAL in the rear. The leaf makes the rear sit a bit higher normally, but it doesn't rub when I tow or have a lot of loaded in the back.

Goodyear stopped making MT/Rs in 30x9.50 R15. I'd like to switch to DuraTracs, but those aren't in 30x9.50 R15 either.

Options I'm considering:
-BFG ATs in 30x9.50 R15
-Goodyear DuraTracs in another size.

If I go for another size, should I downgrade to 235/75/15, or can I go slightly larger with my configuration?

Feedback is much appreciated.

you can clear 31's with a 2 inch lift however they will rub on the lower control arms a little when you turn the wheel all the way unless you have rims with the proper backspacing. i have BFG ATs in 31x10.50x15 and theyre not perfectly quiet but by no means noisy..

I have the BFG ATs in 30x9.50 R15s They look a little small with 3" of lift, But I have no real complaints about them.

Falken Wildpeak ( Rocky Mountain ATS, same tire different name) in 30" Most 30" tires measure slightly shorter, so going down to a 235 isn't all that bad. I do not recommend 31s without a regear.

I'd stick with the 30's. Performance is fine with 30's, but it will start dropping performance and mileage with 31's. My wife's XJ has 2" spacers and one extra leaf in the rear with 30's and it's a nice combination, runs good.

Thanks for the feedback, all.

Interesting points about re-gear with 31s.

My MT/Rs were 29.8 overall diameter when new.
Looks like duratrac 235s are 28.9 overall diameter, and 31x10s are 30.5.

Do I drop .9" or go up by .7".

I could always just go to BFG AT's or MTs (leaning more towards MTs) and not change the size at all.

Decision, decisions.

General Grabber AT2's, without a doubt one of the best all around tires I have ever put on any of my vehicles. They make these not only in the 30x9.5 but also a 265/70/15 which is essentially a 30x10.5. My wife has that size on her DD which has 2.5" of lift and they look great.

Might also consider the Kelly Safari TSR, very similar to the duratrac but usually cheaper.

I run General Grabber AT2's in my WJ for the first time. I have to admit, for an inexpensive tire, they perform almost the same as my BFG AT's. Haven't had them long enough to tell how they wear though.

Back