• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Powered sub?

mroinsno

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 Jeep and i really want a sub. I dont want two 10's and a giant box as i go skiing a lot and i need the trunk space so i was thinking of getting a powered sub and putting it under my rear seat. Has anyone done this? Know which ones fit and work best? I already have a replaced head unit but stock speakers its a lot cheaper at this stage to just do the powered sub. Thanks guys! :listenmus

there is nowhere near enough room under the rear seat. If you dig around in the street & performance section you will find a few threads of what people have done to build custom boxes that fit in the rear cubby hole area on the passenger side, other than that you're pretty much limited to having it in the rear cargo area.

I used a truck box type, and mounted the amp to the backside of the box. Its mounted to the cage, about the same height as the rear window, and takes up hardly any space.

Not goona impress the homies, but good enough for what I listen to.

You might be interested in the Pioneer TS-SW3001S2 12-Inch Shallow Subwoofer
you could definitely mount 4 of these under the rear bench along with and amp... and you can always make your girlfriend ride back there and crank it up ;)

how would you manage to mount 4 12" subs under the seat? shallow mount or not there is not enough sqft of space for 4 12s.

did you look them up? no you didnt... now i just went out to my jeep and set two of them on the drivers side and one on the passenger side, so sorry THREE will fit

your gonna have to cut a panel to mount them in either side and probably remove the carpet from under the seat

I personally dont run subs, but i do install them on the side. I currently just have 4 M-audio 6x9's and it gives a very even frequency response, thats right i pulled out a pink noise generator and eq'd my system (im a music production engineer and a bit anal when it comes to sound)

Last edited:
did you look them up? no you didnt... now i just went out to my jeep and set two of them on the drivers side and one on the passenger side, so sorry THREE will fit

your gonna have to cut a panel to mount them in either side and probably remove the carpet from under the seat

I personally dont run subs, but i do install them on the side. I currently just have 4 M-audio 6x9's and it gives a very even frequency response, thats right i pulled out a pink noise generator and eq'd my system (im a music production engineer and a bit anal when it comes to sound)
so you should know that enclosure airspace is fairly important, and there is nowhere near enough volume under the seat for a 12" sub. and no, 3 will not fit. and i find it hard to believe even one will without jacking the voice coil all out of alignment when the cone smacks the seat bottom every stroke. There's about .3 cubic feet of air space under each side of the seat. not including enclosure material or sub displacement. not enough.

I have a JL 12w6v2 in a 1.2 cubic foot box with a JL 500/1 mounted under the rear seat, it has enough power to make the sagging headliner do the crip walk yet I still have plenty of storage space in the rear.

Ghost of Christmas past from the future said:
should you be the one to tell my story since I was there? Pehaps you should continue. To tell it then, since it was I that was thre, and not you.

Grimm, why is everyone calling out your tech lately?

Schwarze-haters-gonna-hate-6.jpg

There's a guy over at cherokeeforum that makes boxes that go in the "cubby" area.

I have a JL 12w6v2 in a 1.2 cubic foot box with a JL 500/1 mounted under the rear seat, it has enough power to make the sagging headliner do the crip walk yet I still have plenty of storage space in the rear.
pics! not that i'm calling you a liar, but i just want to see how you did it without lots of sheetmetal fab.

pics! not that i'm calling you a liar, but i just want to see how you did it without lots of sheetmetal fab.
Thats actually a great idea can you guys post pictures? Thanks I like the shallow idea but id like to see it. It seems to me the bazooka tubes would fit under the rear seat.

I have one 10 in the rear being powered by a 600w amp. Compared to my friends 2 12's its pretty close. It really impressive for a single 10. Just a suggestion. I understand your space issue, I play golf a lot and I need the space for my clubs.

I have one 10 in the rear being powered by a 600w amp. Compared to my friends 2 12's its pretty close. It really impressive for a single 10. Just a suggestion. I understand your space issue, I play golf a lot and I need the space for my clubs.
What kind of 10? Can you post a picture please?!

over the past few years Ive used and still own 3 subwoofer setups for my jeep

an Infinity Basslink 10" with the built in amp (nice and small and sounds good).

A big box with 2- 8" MTX's that got mounted with the magnets facing eachother (does that really help because thats what im being told)

And a Bigger MB Quart 12"

in the end i went back to my infinity basslink so i could actually have stuff in my rear cargo area .. and it sounds good e'nuff to me

The 2- 8"s actually have the sound range i liked best but the 12" hit the hardest.

I used that space in the wheel well to mount my O.B.A. compressor on a little shelf we welded in. and insulated and made a cover plate for that area so my compressor isnt visible and is pretty quiet. so that isnt an option for me .

Last edited:
Back