• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BBK Throttle Body & AirAid Throttle Body Spacer

sixty7ss

NAXJA Forum User
Do any of you run either of these mods? If you do, what is your take on it?

I've heard that the spacer can be really noisy, but I've also heard that they help quite a bit.

Any additional insights would be great.

Thanks!

There is NO way a spacer can help on a MPFI vehicle. Just doesn't make sense, as the fuel is injected downstream of the the throttle body. That noise associated them is wasted energy.

I do have an aftermarket throttle body, can't say it makes much difference though. If you are looking for a performance increase, start looking at gears and lockers. But if your dead set on this stuff, I have an electric supercharger I could make you a good deal on. :eyes:

throttle body spacers only help in your mind... i have plenty of friends that swear that "it restores all lost power from your engine getting old".... yea.. as for the noise... whistle=restriction... and restriction=lost power. throttle body spacers dont work for the reasons souske posted.

aftermarket throttle bodys increase throttle response by removing the taper from the throttle opening... as for actual horsepower increases... i dont believe so.. the TB is not where the restriction is.. the restriction in the 4.0l is in the head and exhaust. start there first.

There is NO way a spacer can help on a MPFI vehicle. Just doesn't make sense, as the fuel is injected downstream of the the throttle body. That noise associated them is wasted energy.

I do have an aftermarket throttle body, can't say it makes much difference though. If you are looking for a performance increase, start looking at gears and lockers. But if your dead set on this stuff, I have an electric supercharger I could make you a good deal on. :eyes:
A throttle body spacer does slightly increase plenum volume but not enough to have a noticable effect.

Bored throttle bodies are just about useless on an otherwise stock motor. Also if you bore the throttle body, you need to port the opening in the manifold to match or you will get a net decrease in efficiency due to turbulance in the intake runners.

Bored throttle bodies are just about useless on an otherwise stock motor. Also if you bore the throttle body, you need to port the opening in the manifold to match or you will get a net decrease in efficiency due to turbulance in the intake runners.

Very true. Not sure I want a bored out TB. Is that what the BBK is? I do plan on doing a cat-back exhaust and cold air intake. That's why I was considering the BBK.

Absolutely wrong. Renix manifold is 60mm. Porting not needed.

HO manifold is likewise larger than the factory TB bore.

Here we go again. Those who have not done something are trying to convince those of us who have done something that it doesn't work. It does.

If it didn't, Chryco never would have increased the TB size from the Renix to HO to increase horsepower output.

I Have a bored my own TB and it made a difference on low end but you also need some type of CAI to support this. If you're going to do an CAI get one with a dryflow filter(no oli required), you be much happier with the results and slightly better filtration, TB spacers do nothing so dont even bother. If you're letting air in you need to also let it out so I would start thinking about atleast a catback of some sort.

A throttle body spacer does slightly increase plenum volume but not enough to have a noticable effect.
Considering the antiquated head design and valvetrain, I consider this a moo point. You know, one a cow would make

Very true. Not sure I want a bored out TB. Is that what the BBK is? I do plan on doing a cat-back exhaust and cold air intake. That's why I was considering the BBK.
For the cost of all this tomfoolery, you could regear. Are you really going to ever drive your jeep to the max theoretical speed? I won't, my junk would kill me long before I got there.
Absolutely wrong. Renix manifold is 60mm. Porting not needed.

HO manifold is likewise larger than the factory TB bore.

Here we go again. Those who have not done something are trying to convince those of us who have done something that it doesn't work. It does.

If it didn't, Chryco never would have increased the TB size from the Renix to HO to increase horsepower output.
Been there, have.a bored throtte body, gave up on TB spacers about the same time as the tooth fairy.
I Have a bored my own TB and it made a difference on low end but you also need some type of CAI to support this. If you're going to do an CAI get one with a dryflow filter(no oli required), you be much happier with the results and slightly better filtration, TB spacers do nothing so dont even bother. If you're letting air in you need to also let it out so I would start thinking about atleast a catback of some sort.

If magic airfilters really existed, heavy equipment would use them. Hundred thousands of dollars of metal living its whole life stirring up dirt, I would want the best damn filter available.
Guess what they use?
A silt swirler, and *gasp* two paper filters!
After seeing the fine silt in others intakes, I will stick with paper.

Already looking at cat-backs and dry Airaid CAI. :)

Considering the antiquated head design and valvetrain, I consider this a moo point. You know, one a cow would make

For the cost of all this tomfoolery, you could regear. Are you really going to ever drive your jeep to the max theoretical speed? I won't, my junk would kill me long before I got there.

Been there, have.a bored throtte body, gave up on TB spacers about the same time as the tooth fairy.

If magic airfilters really existed, heavy equipment would use them. Hundred thousands of dollars of metal living its whole life stirring up dirt, I would want the best damn filter available.
Guess what they use?
A silt swirler, and *gasp* two paper filters!
After seeing the fine silt in others intakes, I will stick with paper.

I'm much more interested in fuel mileage, towing, and being able to pass someone going uphill. These upgrades aren't just for Macintosh out capabilities. And I hate to break it to you, but aftermarket CAI's absolutely do make a difference in HP and torque. Some vehicles respond better than others, but they work.

Oh man I wasn't serious, that electric supercharger is a joke!

You’re not going tro get much any gain in HP/tourq from all this crap. I have tried the spacer...junk. Bored throttle body, slight improvement..but worth the cost? Cone intake..maybe a slight improvement, but it was constantly packed full of dirt and I went back to a stock air box and filter. You know what the best improvement I did was? Regearing by far!

You starting with a vehicle that gets poor fuel economy in stock form adding lift/ tires/bumpers/towing etc is only going to degrade it, theres no magic air intake that will give you huge improvements...just a lot of wasted money.

I have no numbers to back up the throttle body or CAI, but they do improve throttle response significantly. A CAI was the first thing I did on my 2000 and it made it a different vehicle with less bog off the line. I'm not going to go find a price for that BBK throttle body but I am sure it costs too much. I have used this one with good luck as have others: http://www.strokedjeep.com/

Im going to buy ten of them GTE electric superchargers, strip them all, fab up a shroud, and mount it up behind my radiator! YEAH! Ill put five on for primary two stage cooling (lo/hi like a taurus fan), and five on a Tswitch for auxiliary cooling, and since theyre sooo powerful, theyll even blow enough air to evacuate the hot engine bay air! hmm... maybe Ill buy eleven, and stick one on my intake too, actually....:laugh3:

Back