• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cracked block??

Hotwire

NAXJA Forum User
I recently had tO do a head gasket due to an overheating. Now I notice a wet spot that comes and goes on the manifold side of the engine right under the front most exhaust port on the block. It's in the area where bolt 11 goes into the block.

Is it possible the block is cracked?

possible, yes, probable I would say no.

when you did the head gasket did you have the head checked for a crack? it is more likely the head has a problem as opposed to the block.

what year?
you're just up the road, I'm just east of Oshawa.

If I remember right, there is a freeze plug around there.

Doesn't the front most bolt on the head on the drivers side go through the water jacket? Or was that the back one? If so, did you silicone it before putting it in?

It's a 1988 with 417000km :)

I had the head shaved and checked. With all good news.

I'm actually in Brantford now.

The wet spot is right under the front most exhaust port. Nearly on the front corner of the block. I'm thinking crack, or leaky water pump, or not enough sealant on headbolt number 11.

Here is where the freeze plug is on a renix block, quite a bit behind bolt #11.

ad54ae39.jpg

I'm pretty sure I had the same problem. But mine was leaking from lower front exhaust manifold bolt. same general area that you are talking about. I'm certain that the exhaust manifold bolt hole and the head bolt hole intersect each other. My machinist didn't put any sealer on head bolt 11. when I redid it, I used the loctite thread sealant.

its most definitely cracked. New head bolts, coated #11 with teflon, as well as the exhaust manifold bolt. I dried it off, and as I tq'ed the head bolt down there was a hair line of wetness develop. When I ran it, it started to weep again.

Back