• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starts then dies right away

OverlandMJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just tried starting the jeep to head to work this morning and it starts fine revs up to 2000 rpm and dies right away. I havent done any work to the jeep this past weekend besides a cargo light switch and an exhaust clamp. I noticed a vac leak and saw a disconnected line from the EGR valve and connected it to an openport on the bottom of the vac line assembily where the leak was coming from and the idle got smoother and went from 1000 rpm to 700 rpm. Ran fine yesterdsay but now its doing this. I disconnnected that vac line and still wont stay ideling. I tried it about 5 times this morning and got it to idle for a couple mins and then it died and havent been able to get it to run since. Im taking the day off to try to fix this.

It is an 88 MJ 4.0 5 spd.

Any Ideas?

First thing I'd do is make sure the CCV lines and the vacuum line to the MAP sensor are free of built up crud and that they are connected. If they are, I'd pull and clean the idle air control valve and perform a sweep test on the throttle position sensor.

It is also possible that the EGR valve diaphragm has a torn spot and is causing a vacuum leak-- try blocking it off and see if it's any better.

I cleaned the wire connection for the IAC and tps.. same thing.. Cleaned the two connections on the fuel pump resistor and now it runs fine.
Thanks for the input

Gary

Last edited:
Back