• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drilling Dana 44 for vent tube

XJRN

NAXJA Forum User
I have a feeling this is going to be the beginning of many questions as this is my first attempt at swapping axles. I have a d44 and 60 that were already set up for xj but it looks like there are still going to be a few things for me to tackle to get it done right. I pulled the d44 out of the donor rig today and realized the po welded the uca mount over the vent hole. Is there anything I need to know before I try drilling and tapping this cast pumpkin? Where will be the best place to drill it? Thanks!

You can drill and tap on either the pumpkin or the tubes on the D44. I prefer to drill the tubes to keep splashing oil out of the tube but it may not matter.

The 44 is a front axle, drilling the tubes wouldnt work very well..

XJRN, have you considered drilling the diff cover? Right at the top?

Thanks for the help guys. Drilling the cover sounds better than the diff. Right now I only have a stock cover though, so may need to pick up a Ruff Stuff. I am not sure how well the stock cover will take to threads.

Plenty of people drill through the pumpkin for ARB fittings (did it on my rear D60).

Not a big deal. Just be mindful of where you're drilling. I would pull the carrier out, and throw a rag over the pinion head to keep shavings out of the bearings.

Use a pipe tap. I would think something like 1/8" NPT.

Make sure you use the correct size drill for the pipe tap or it will be a major PIA.

The truss on my HP60 covered up the stock vent hole. I just drilled/tapped my ruffstuff cover for the stock vent piece and put it on the top most part of the cover. Be sure to also put it off to the side of where the ring gear is so its not splashing oil all over it, mines offset to the NRG carrier cap.

Is there a specific nipple that anyone recommends?

Back