• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission failing on steep climb

Explorer 1

NAXJA Forum User
I've had this happen a few times now and wondering if anyone else has had the same experience and if so what they did about it.

On a steep climb it appears that the ATF slides to the rear of the pan enough that my pump only sucks air and I end up with a failure of the trans to move the vehicle.

See an example here:

Thanks for any input,
Fred
Explorer 1

Last edited:
your low on fluid, mine does it from time to time cause i got a small leak in a trans line. check it top it off and your good to go.

Sorry, no leak and the ATF wasn't low. I checked it right after and it was at the full mark. When this has happened in teh past I have added about a pint over the low mark and it seems to help. I'm a little concerned about over filling, though.

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

I've never seen that happen on an AW4, I know I've had mine almost straight up and never had that happen. What condition is the fluid in, is it changed regularly? I know mine is a little overfilled though, maybe that helps, that doesn't seem normal though. Are you sure it's not just the tcase popping out of gear?

Is the dip stick tube the correct length? If it have been shortned in any way, it could read incorrectly. Also, how does the AW4 work on a flat hard surface? Are there any indications of slipage of the if you floor the pedal from a stand still?

I woud say you either have the first symtoms of a failing AW4 or the fluid is low or just plain bad.

I've never seen that happen on an AW4, I know I've had mine almost straight up and never had that happen. What condition is the fluid in, is it changed regularly? I know mine is a little overfilled though, maybe that helps, that doesn't seem normal though. Are you sure it's not just the tcase popping out of gear?

Thanks, its not the T-case poping out, I still think it related to the fluid level. I have two coolers and a Trans temp gauge, The fluid is very checked and changed more than the recommendation. My trans shop has said the unit is sound and no signs of wear.

Here is the second attempt and you can see it just stops pulling:

Then we add about a pint over the full stick level and she climbs up. The stick is the original one from the factory, I'm the only owner so I know it's the right one.

It's happened over the past three years, about 4 times, only on very steep slow climbs.............sounds like no one else is experiencing this.!!!???

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

I've experienced it a lot and like I said, add a little fluid and its good to go. Mine has never shown it as over full but when the pumps are at the front I can see how it helps

Make sure you are checking the fluid level in Neutral, not Park. Add some fluid and it will get up no problem. We routinely go up stuff 2x that steep without issue. You should be able to get it near vertical.

If the dipstick was shortened in any way, and showed full, it would be overfull!

I did not mean the dip stick shortned, I meant the tube through which the dip stick is inserted may be shortned or bent lower in any way or form. The OP already answered negative.

Going up steep inclines should not be a problem if the AW4 is properly filled. If IRC, the pickup is located close to the back of the transmission. When trying to go up an incline, the oil should drain back and properly cover the pickup.

How do you check the oil? The XJ should be parked on level ground, engine running and shift lever cycle through the gears then finally into 'N' . The dipstick should then be read. Oil level should be at the full mark as indicated on the dipstick. Also of note are the two seperate markings, one for a cold transmission and the other for a hot transmission. Hot or cold, my AW4 always read a little above the full 'hot' mark.

The only other thing to look at may be to take the pan down and do a visual of the strainer, pickup and any seals/'O' rings in there. I do beleive the symptoms indicate a loss of oil when trying to go up steep grades.

Back