• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New fan clutch too large???

spdyracer

NAXJA Forum User
Got a new fan clutch from autozone and it was too large and the fan wouldn't mount to it. took it back with my stock one and the guy said it was the right one for my 98 cherokee. he measured it at 7" and the stock one that came off was about 5". he did some looking and went back to an 80's clutch and it was smaller like mine. i took that one and it worked. so is autozone all screwed up or is something going on with my cherokee. he thought maybe it was changed in the past and the only thing they had was an older fan and clutch and used that. not positive but it all looked stock and not touched. anyone have this same thing happen or any ideas whats going on?

did it not bolt up? larger fan clutch would be better if it did bolt up. keeps it cooler at idle. the zj clutch is a common mod for xj's because it's larger.

Did he give you a ZJ MAX-cooling clutch? ZJ NON-max cooling is what you need, if you go that route.

did it not bolt up? larger fan clutch would be better if it did bolt up. keeps it cooler at idle. the zj clutch is a common mod for xj's because it's larger.

no if it had i would have just used it. the fan blades where hitting the clutch before where the bolts go through hit. i asked him if they gave me a grand cherokee instead and he said no that was the one for the cherokee. he looked back to a mid 80's clutch and thats what ended up being the correct size. i just figured it was autozone screw up but i thought i would ask to see if anyone else had this problem before.

1.Go to napa, get a ZJ fan clutch
2. Snap off the radiator death knives
3. ???
4. Profit

Hmmm.....I think advance gave me the ZJ unit......it looks different than the one I took off. It has the death knives you speak of. Bonus! It bolted up so i'm running it.

Hmmm.....I think advance gave me the ZJ unit......it looks different than the one I took off. It has the death knives you speak of. Bonus! It bolted up so i'm running it.

If you ever have it back off, take some pliers or vice grips, and grip as close as possible to the face, bend the pliers from perpinducular to parrallel relative to the face, and they snap right off. I hit the rough spots with a flap wheel, but this isn't stictly neccesary.

[Voice of Arnold] Big mistake! [/Arnold]

I am govenor schwartzenegger, someday soon I will be dictator...

Last edited:
While they will clear, I felt better with them removed. Guess my bull in a china shop installation leaves something to be desired.

Got a new fan clutch from autozone and it was too large and the fan wouldn't mount to it. took it back with my stock one and the guy said it was the right one for my 98 cherokee. he measured it at 7" and the stock one that came off was about 5". he did some looking and went back to an 80's clutch and it was smaller like mine. i took that one and it worked. so is autozone all screwed up or is something going on with my cherokee. he thought maybe it was changed in the past and the only thing they had was an older fan and clutch and used that. not positive but it all looked stock and not touched. anyone have this same thing happen or any ideas whats going on?

^^This would be correct, Autozone has the wrong part in stock and will not do anything about it. I pointed this out to them 2 years ago...

The clutch they sell for an XJ is actually the Heavy Duty clutch from a ZJ with the 4.0L. While the Standard Duty ZJ clutch will not only fit properly, it will give better fan performance as it couples at 80% instead of the (if I remember right) 65% the XJ clutch runs.

The only reason I use Autozone (aka, Bozozone) is for things that they can not screw up. Such as oil. Or antifreeze.

My own experience that drove me away from getting important parts there:
1) Wrong fan clutch and they wanted to ague about it. I brought in the fan and still...
2) VSS for the Wife's Bronco. No where near the correct part. Thier response? "It is what the computer says..." NAPA had it in stock.
3) Injector o-rings. After checking thier stock on-line, I went in and gave them the part number. The idiot behind the counter would not listen, argued with me and then attempted to sell me a generic o-ring kit form the floor shelves...

And, three strikes, you are out.

Even though both Advance Auto and NAPA are four to five times the driving distance away, I use them. At least they appear to have people behind the counter that have a clue. But mostly, I mail order parts. As long as the cost to my door is less than driving to get it, I go that way.

Good to know about the DEATH KNIVES I helped a buddy put his is and we Both said WTF is this but it went in ok tight but its in there for like 2 years now and no bad issues

as soon as his motor mounts wear out it is going to hit the radiator while wheeling, it's almost 100% guaranteed.

^^This would be correct, Autozone has the wrong part in stock and will not do anything about it. I pointed this out to them 2 years ago...

The clutch they sell for an XJ is actually the Heavy Duty clutch from a ZJ with the 4.0L. While the Standard Duty ZJ clutch will not only fit properly, it will give better fan performance as it couples at 80% instead of the (if I remember right) 65% the XJ clutch runs.

The only reason I use Autozone (aka, Bozozone) is for things that they can not screw up. Such as oil. Or antifreeze.

My own experience that drove me away from getting important parts there:
1) Wrong fan clutch and they wanted to ague about it. I brought in the fan and still...
2) VSS for the Wife's Bronco. No where near the correct part. Thier response? "It is what the computer says..." NAPA had it in stock.
3) Injector o-rings. After checking thier stock on-line, I went in and gave them the part number. The idiot behind the counter would not listen, argued with me and then attempted to sell me a generic o-ring kit form the floor shelves...

And, three strikes, you are out.

Even though both Advance Auto and NAPA are four to five times the driving distance away, I use them. At least they appear to have people behind the counter that have a clue. But mostly, I mail order parts. As long as the cost to my door is less than driving to get it, I go that way.

thats what i was thinking was going on but the guy kept telling me i just had the wrong one in or my motor had been changed in the past which i knew wasn't the case. he even started going on and on about how his buddy had about 12 jeeps, of course the whole time i'm trying to figure out what that had to do with them giving me the wrong fan clutch. the clutch is a torqflo and the part# is 922625, can anyone tell me if this is the standard zj clutch or just the xj clutch.

Last edited:
Back