• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

R&P Gear Question

Royal_Highness

NAXJA Forum User
Checking my rear end out I think to myself, that my past pinion angle fail and fail at doing my first rear end has continued to haunt me (4.5* difference between the drivshaft
and pinion in the rear cv shaft. in the last three weeks rebuilt tcase and front/rear drive lines due to poor angles).

Someone who knows If you look at my pinion and ring gear maybe see what I see? Shouldn't the pinion be riding in the middle and not on the outer edges? It was a fail
install from the start I don't expect it to last forever.. plus it makes noise (poor carrier bearing preload for one drive... and metal shavings which maybe caused the scratchy
look to the gears?)
DSC00088.jpg

DSC00087.jpg

This is my theory is that the poor pinion angle was causing it to not spin proper and caused the what I think is odd wear on each end of the pinion tooth. Also debate If
it is just like that because that would be the coast side? I have no idea?

Pinion angle isn't going to affect ring and pinion wear.

I can see the wear marks but it's hard to really tell what is going on. Why don't you put some gear compound on there and run a pattern check if you're really concerned, also get some backlash measurements. Then post up.

On a side note I wouldn't think you would have that much wear on the coast side of a rear axle ring gear. But I'm relatively new to gears

Lash is .007 within spec

Didn't recheck preload on pinion. Assuming that It is still good from when I set the preload while installing last October.

Didn't take pictures after I marked it and checked and it is good contact.

Why are you inspecting the gears? you mention they're making noise, but because of the loose carrier preload.

I'm no gear expert, but I've set up a couple R&P sets and have done more than my fair share of research on the topic. With that said, I don't think loose preload will cause noise, now if the carrier bearings are bad, or there is zero preload, that's a different story. Hell, prior to me redoing my axles the carriers had literally 0 preload and made no noise.

It looks like you have had some debris in the iol causing the abnormal wear seen in the pictures. If you have a good pattern and proper backlash then flush the gearbox out thoroughly and put a supermagnet on the inside of the diff cover to pick up any remaining metal shavings and run it. I would also take a grinding stone to the chipped tooth on the ring gear to remove stress risers.

Why are you inspecting the gears? you mention they're making noise, but because of the loose carrier preload.

Just changing the fluid. By no preload, I'm talking about they have I just slammed in the carrier adjusters and checked for side to side on my 8.25 when I drove it for the first time and in turn ruined the bearings? OR The metal shavings made the gear or bearings set not quiet anymore? Preload I fixed it the day after my failure with the proper tools.

It looks like you have had some debris in the iol causing the abnormal wear seen in the pictures. If you have a good pattern and proper backlash then flush the gearbox out thoroughly and put a supermagnet on the inside of the diff cover to pick up any remaining metal shavings and run it. I would also take a grinding stone to the chipped tooth on the ring gear to remove stress risers.

I thought I fixed the chip 6 months ago guess not.. I did fix that yesterday after I checked the pattern i noticed it. I think most of the debris wear was in the first few days? When I took the cover off yesterday there was very little shine to it but I think i will do that magnet didn't think about that.

Back