• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My 1st build (hunting rig/DD)

Hoghauler

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm new to the forum and this is my 1st jeep I've owned so please bear with me on my build thread. My plan after getting my jeep was to build a rig that was capable of getting me to those hard to reach hunting and fishing spots and would also be road worthy. This is going to be my daily driver also.

My ride:
96 XJ
4.0 auto
30x9.5 firestone destination m/t
2" budget boost
Clean interior

So far the jeep seems mechanically sound and has no real problems ( other than the rusted floors that I failed to check before I bought it :(
Heres a pic the day I bought it
ba945ba2.jpg

I knew I wanted a roof rack because I hated having the spare in the trunk so the day after I bought it I found a con-ferr on craigslist
eea454f8.jpg

Also had some stereo system stuff laying around so I cut out rhe cargo panel and pushed the speaker box in as far as I could. System sounds great
71a7cdac.jpg

Also found this winch bumper on craigslist a few weeks later. Not sure what kind it is or if it's a home brew. It definetly had some modification done to it.
f3ed49d2.jpg

I made some changes to it shortly after. There was these weird tabs that were halfway welded and bolted through the holes where the fairlead goes. So I cut them off and welded the holes I didn't need. I also removed the angles up top and welded them on the front. I cut slots in the bumper and put them in through the backside and welded inside and out.
Before:
cb53a05e.jpg

After:
a4c82413.jpg

And then:
b8ccce9b.jpg

0a3669b8.jpg

I still plan on doing a little work to the front bumper

Now for the lift. I just ordered the iron rock 5.5 long arm kit and the hack n tap along with the refurbished driveshaft. My parts should be here Saturday. I can't freakin wait to get started on this. I already started spraying everything with pb blaster a week ago
9706da8b.jpg

Future plans are:
Custom rear bumper
Winch
33x12.5 tires ( not sure what ones yet)
Stinger for front bumper
Roof rack mods
Sliders
And much more as money permits :)

Does the bumper mount to the factory 3 mounts or have tie in plates? If it's the factory 3 don't plan on pulling on it... needs tie in plates to the unibody.

Yea the bumper is tied into the unibody with 1/4" plate. It's super sturdy. I think this thing would take out a tree!

I decided to paint some of my parts yellow. I think it will look sweet under a black jeep. I didn't paint everything I think that would have been too much yellow. I only painted the long arms and the track bar. So far I'm very impressed with iron rock. These parts are very well constructed and are super heavy duty. I can't wait to start the install!!!!

5bdc6962.jpg

40b14e1f.jpg

Yea yea I know I painted over the powder coating. But yes I prepped the parts very well and used a good amount of paint and matte clear coat. I've had pretty good luck with rustoleum. I will keep you guys posted on the install.

I also recently did my whole boat in camo.

d1d2d2de.jpg

Well I got rhe front pretty well finishes today other than the brake lines. I still need to soak them with pb blaster for a couple more days. They didn't want to come apart. All in all it wasn't a total nightmare. Other than some of the bolts being really stubborn ( even after soaking them in penetrating oil every other day for almost 2 weeks) I got it all done. All the parts from iron rock were awesome. I would say the best tool I had was the torch to heat up the bolts that wouldn't come out. I did destroy 1 bolt that I needed to reuse and just went and picked up a grade 8 to replace it.
I'll be working on the rear tomorrow.

1ff63c91.jpg

62fa0b7c.jpg

992aec2f.jpg

66f7c69c.jpg

Looks good! But I'm pretty sure your JKS discos are on wrong, I think everything goes under the sway bar, and then just the bolt / washer part go on the top. Unless you put them together the way you did for some other reason...

Either way, it looks good, good luck with the rear!

Are you planning on leaving the stock control arm mounts on the chassis? or just havent cut them off yet? Surprised the arms clear them!

Looks good! But I'm pretty sure your JKS discos are on wrong, I think everything goes under the sway bar, and then just the bolt / washer part go on the top. Unless you put them together the way you did for some other reason...

Either way, it looks good, good luck with the rear!

They're on right. Although probably at the limit of their height.

Well the rear isn't going as well as the front. Basically today sucked! I broke both front leaf spring bolts in the unibody and both upper shackle bolts had to be cut out because they were frozen in the bushings sleeve. 1 bolt still had a nub on it so I was able to weld a bolt to it and heat it with the torch and wrench it out. The other one actually broke the nut inside the unibody so I'm just gonna pick up a grade 8 nut and bolt for that side. I finally got everything out and now I have to source a couple bolts. So I'll be back at it tomorrow.

Back