• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 inner axle seal q's

kmanxj5050

NAXJA Forum User
I am changing the seals.

When I took them out somebody had put clear silicone around the outside of the seal on the carried side of them. I wouldn't think you should need that since they are a pressed in seal, correct?

Also should I put any assembly lube or anything on the bearings/races it just a little gear oil?

Thanks NAXJA

The silicone you're seeing may be from when the factory pressed the axle tubes into the center casting. You shouldn't need RTV but it can't hurt as long as you keep it off the lip of the seal.

Gear oil, assembly lube... use whatever you got, it'll be fine. The important thing is to keep each bearing cup with the side of the diff that it came out of, if you don't you may slightly change your backlash.

Its not factory I dont think. The axle has been regeared and I'm assuming they changed them, not sure why clear would be used. Ill put a little black in there.

You shouldn't need the siliconefor the new seals. If you use anything I'd use a non-hardening sealant, permatex makes some. just rebuilt my front axle and didn't use any silicone on the seals and I have no signs of leaking.

I'd be leery of using black silicone, it's an adhesive silicone, it could make future removal of the seal hard. I'd use either red (for high temperature applictions) or gray (high torque applications).

kastein said:
The silicone you're seeing may be from when the factory pressed the axle tubes into the center casting

Never seen clear factory axle tube sealant, usually black or like a red/orange. It's probably not that imo

true, I've only seen grey (8.25 I pulled apart) and reddish orange.

Back