• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit and driveshaft ideas

HE-MAN

NAXJA Forum User
In the process of getting myself a new lift. 1998 xj. The finalists are a 6.5 or 5.5 Iron Rock Long arm or a 4.5 BDS short arm kit. Im doing my best to read up on SYE's and drive shafts and what you need to do. Trying to find the happy middle between quality and price. Any ideas on the best kit or product to be looking at? A better question would be what do you run, where did you get if from and how much?

Now i offer up some music you can listen to while you think about it because im a nice fella and i appreciate your input.

(Thanks Awsome for showing me how to get my youtube posting on)

I bought an Advanced Adapters sye, works greaT! 200$ shipped from summit racing. I used a stock front ds out of a auto xj for the rear, free.

Do you have a np242 or 231?

thats awesme he-man.. i run a cv yoke from six states and a front drive shaft the yoke was 90$ and the shaft was 35$ at the jy. i can get a part number if you like. i have been running it for three years no problems. i like the fact that i have one spare for front and back. i didnt drill and tap my output shaft. my friend did either way simple easy and cheap

I bought an Advanced Adapters sye, works greaT! 200$ shipped from summit racing. I used a stock front ds out of a auto xj for the rear, free.

Do you have a np242 or 231?

Im not sure what transmission i have. How do you check? I have a 98 with a high 30 in the front and a 35 in the back. 3 55 gears

The auto in the Cherokee is the AW4.

Im not sure what transmission i have. How do you check? I have a 98 with a high 30 in the front and a 35 in the back. 3 55 gears

Do you do you have a full time 4wd option? If so its a 242. If not its a 231.

FWIW, I have the rough country sye and a Tom woods shaft(ordered through their website). Same price as the aa.

Haha that's true. I figured you were talking about the tc but didn't click you said transmissions.

Ya the transfer case......i have no idea why i said transmission. My brain has been mush trying to figure out what 4.5 lift to get. transfer case has 2, 4low, n, and 4hi. so it must be a 231.

Is this what im looking for?

Np 231J slip yoke eliminator - $150 (Lebanon)

Date: 2012-03-29, 4:41AM PDT
Reply to: see below [Errors when replying to ads?]

Used SYE from Advanced Adapters
Was on a 93 NP231J case
32 spline output (not the shorty for wranglers)
Still has the gears on it that fit behind the snap ring, so no snap ring pliers are needed
Comes with a 1350 non cv yoke
You will probably want a 1310 cv yoke, that is the standard SYE yoke
Advanced Adapters and Novak Adapters sell the yokes
Kit has a year of mild wheelin on it
Also comes with some miscellaneous NP231J parts (spare chain, oil pump, factory tail housing (93) and some front yokes)

If you research 231s much, i also have an NP207 chain (1/4" wider) and some 207 parts if you wanted to swap that in

Please research years and models of compatibility for yourself

Is this what im looking for?

Np 231J slip yoke eliminator - $150 (Lebanon)

Date: 2012-03-29, 4:41AM PDT
Reply to: see below [Errors when replying to ads?]

Used SYE from Advanced Adapters
Was on a 93 NP231J case
32 spline output (not the shorty for wranglers)
Still has the gears on it that fit behind the snap ring, so no snap ring pliers are needed
Comes with a 1350 non cv yoke
You will probably want a 1310 cv yoke, that is the standard SYE yoke
Advanced Adapters and Novak Adapters sell the yokes
Kit has a year of mild wheelin on it
Also comes with some miscellaneous NP231J parts (spare chain, oil pump, factory tail housing (93) and some front yokes)

If you research 231s much, i also have an NP207 chain (1/4" wider) and some 207 parts if you wanted to swap that in

Please research years and models of compatibility for yourself

For another $50 you can get a new one, shipped for free.

http://www.advanceadapters.com/products/new-process-231j-fixed-yoke-kit/

Ok looking at the aa and the tom woods combo that Avanteone suggested. I take it im needing the cv yoke and not the non cv correct?

I just installed a Rustys SYE, the basic install took about 2 hours, I had a issue with first case I tried to install it in. Torx came by he couldn't figure it out. So I installed it into a second case and it seems to be fine. Now I have an extra 242 im thinking of going Hack N Tap on it.

Ok looking at the aa and the tom woods combo that Avanteone suggested. I take it im needing the cv yoke and not the non cv correct?

Yeah, you need a 1310 cv yoke.

If you bought the used one you'd still need the cv yoke and then you may as well get a new one. The cost would be about the same.

I understand trying to go cheap on this. That's what I did, at first. Then I had vibration issues and ended up with an AA sye and Tom Woods shaft.
Ended up spending way more than I had to.

I'm with Avanteone 100% Do it right and forget about it.

Damn, just tried to order it but i guess theres a bunch of stuff to measure first. Question is i have a dana 35 under He-Man right now but im switching to a 8.25 as soon as i can get it in. Will there be a difference? Will the measurements be the same?

Im putting a 3.5 BDS lift on on the 14th of this month in Olympia so it will be different. I should just use t-case drop spacers to drive it back to Portland then get the measurements huh?

Im putting a 3.5 BDS lift on on the 14th of this month in Olympia so it will be different. I should just use t-case drop spacers to drive it back to Portland then get the measurements huh?

No, man. Put the Slip Yoke in, and just run a Front drive shaft in the back until you measure it.

That was my plan.. 3 years ago.. till I wheeled it.. and wheeled and wheeled.. and figured what the hell and wheeled it again.

We have the rig. Is yours gun metal blue?

Back