• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 issues

PowerRam1987

NAXJA Forum User
so i searched a bit and didn't find anything that really helped me because i'm not so sure what to do...

basically my girlfriend is onto her second lifted XJ (had a 98 she lifted). this one is an 89 wagoneer with SWEET RENIX and a 242 (purchased this one lifted). the 242 leaks from everywhere, i believe the linkage is possibly messed up and it is really in fulltime 4 when the console says 2wd. this is a new theory and i have not tested it.

anyway she went wheeling with some of out friends this weekend. went to do a STEEP hill climb i'm very familiar with and it just bogged, kept high RPMs but went nowhere just stayed in place halfway up. didn't spin tire or anything didn't roll back just held its ground and would not go any further.

before i had planned to pull it off and reseal it because it leaks more than a wrangler on go topless day in the rain. but now i'm rethinking that quick fix. the internals are probably wrecked due to the idiots beforehand wheeling with most likely NO ATF. luckily i work at a junkyard and have a briarwood with a 242... for 275 bucks vs our competitors. so scratch that. i have a school bus full of 231 and 242Js that are not in inventory and i can grab one dirt cheap. the 242s are from much newer G Cherokees though sooo thats out i suppose? as there is no 2wheel option in ANY GCs EVER correct?

SO DO I FIND SOME KIND OF REBUILD KIT FOR THE 242 OR 231 SWAP? 1,2,3.... ARGUE!

i dont know how the NP242 in a grand works but i would imagine the internals are at least similar, buy the rebuild kit and pick up the ZJ case and use it for parts

these transfer cases are easy to take apart replace the seals and wearable parts and put another 200K on it

I thought the ZJ cases that had the AWD were the 249... some ZJs had the 242s I believe and they should be the same case.

I swapped a 231 in favor of my 242 and am glad that I did. smaller, stronger, more support, and I didn't need full time.

The WJs (late model Grands, 99-04) did have 249s and 242s (the latter of which has a 2HI mode), however, the retainer bearing housing was not milled for the XJ-style speedometer sensor (though it was cast for it). Installation in an XJ would be a bit of work... I have one sitting in my garage for that very reason.

ZJ 242s should be a direct bolt-in.

You have to get a 242 from another renix era XJ, they are the only ones with the 21 spline input. After 91 is when they went to 23 spline.

I'll have to ask if she was in low since i wasn't wheeling with them and am not 100% on that sam. Thanks for the heads up on the spline count too since someone just offered us a case for 80 bucks and i dont know what year just that its from an xj.

Engine bogging down with no wheel spin is NOT a problem with the t-case. The t-case is gear/chain drive and doesn't allow slippage from transmission output to the driveshafts. If she was in 4-high (part or full-time), it was probably just the transmission powering out (assuming AW4). Those situations requiring extra power to the wheels is what 4-low was made for! Sounds to me like you're changing a t-case needlessly, when all you need to do is freshen up the seals on it.

you can split the case and mate the old 21 spline input to the new mainshaft.

Yup.

And even if it's wide vs. narrow input bearing, you can swap between those bearings as well to match up with your input shaft.

Doesn't affect the rest of the t-case at all.

yeah i figured i would mix and match pieces if i had to. getting thenew tcase for free now. well doing a trade basically so works for me.

Engine bogging down with no wheel spin is NOT a problem with the t-case. The t-case is gear/chain drive and doesn't allow slippage from transmission output to the driveshafts. If she was in 4-high (part or full-time), it was probably just the transmission powering out (assuming AW4). Those situations requiring extra power to the wheels is what 4-low was made for! Sounds to me like you're changing a t-case needlessly, when all you need to do is freshen up the seals on it.

the 242 has an internal differential. if that is slipping or worn out, it could cause the problem.

the 242 has an internal differential. if that is slipping or worn out, it could cause the problem.

I could be thinking if a different t-case but the 242 has 2wd, part time 4 high, full time 4 high, N and 4 low so as long as it was in full time 4 high or 4 low it would lock out the internal diff action in the t-case and not allow the slipping to occur.

Now if the linkage is not adjusted correctly and its not locking correctly that could be the issue.

Yea...but he described engine powering out...no wheel spin. the 242, even in full time, would spin at least one wheel. I'm still betting on problem NOT being the TC...it's gear-driven/chain-driven....won't allow transmission output without wheel output (wheel spin). I'm willing to bet that the TC was in 4-high...and the transmission just "powered out"....tell GF to find the low range position.

Yea...but he described engine powering out...no wheel spin. the 242, even in full time, would spin at least one wheel. I'm still betting on problem NOT being the TC...it's gear-driven/chain-driven....won't allow transmission output without wheel output (wheel spin). I'm willing to bet that the TC was in 4-high...and the transmission just "powered out"....tell GF to find the low range position.

I agree, I have had two 242 cherokees, and when there are tc issues you can tell. It is right under you. I had a strethed chain and it made all kinds of horrible noises when there was any power to it. I don't know how the diff in the tc works, but in my experience, if there is an issue with the tc it will be pretty obvious. If you aren't spinning a wheel and the tc is spinning as you gas it, you will know.

I have also had linkage issues, and this could be it. You can put the handle in gear and actually have the thing in N. Just revs up and goes nowhere.

Ben

I'm questioning how someone was able to watch all 4 wheels when this happened. Even the OP wasn't there?

Back