• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil and Coolant Leak

Corprin

NAXJA Forum User
'99, 4.0, AW4, 242, D30/C8.25

I have been finding a drip somewhere mid chassis for a while now on my XJ. It will be a puddle of oil, with a "zit" of coolant in the center. I have no signs of head-gasket issues, oil and coolant are perfect and no excessive smoke/steam... even the coolant in the puddle is still bright green.

Got under the Jeep this weekend, and found a drip of coolant forming on a drip of oil at the bottom of the bell housing.

thoughts on where it all may be coming from?

Oil is probably rear main seal, oil filter adapter (and being blown back along the engine), or valve cover gasket. Start with the valve cover gasket since it's easy.

No good news on the coolant - coming from that far back, it's most likely a freeze plug on the back of the block.

Before you do anything, clean the engine till you could almost eat off it. Then take it for a very short drive or just start it up and let it run and see if you can find where the new oil and coolant stains are coming from.

Hello from New Zealand!!

Mine's the same!!!:flamemad:

I have a '94 pre-airbag and it has the smallest weep from the rear main. And, I think mine might be leaking from the frost plug or heater hose as the coolant drops down on to the exhaust then the ground.:smsoap:

Um, anyone done the frost plug with the 4.0l in place:helpme::woohoo:

Thanks

Oliver:eeks1:

I heard you can do the rear freeze plug by pulling the tranny, not sure if that is all years

There are a few back there... wish I had taken a pic Saturday while I had my trans out.

Back