• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Comanche Bed Trailer?

Voteban

NAXJA Forum User
So, my dad has been building a trailer to pull behind his JK for a while now and it's just a bit too... Complicated? I want something simple that I can just throw gear in, strap it down and go. I looked at military trailers, but they're heavy and overpriced around here.

So, I started thinking about a Comanche bed trailer, and I really like the idea of it. It seems like it won't be overly heavy (I hope, does anybody know a ballpark weight of one of these?) and I think I can make one nice and simple.

Anybody know of some nice build threads for one of these? I searched and only found a few for sale and very few details. Google turned up some nice pics, I like the look of one of these behind an XJ.

Last question, long bed or short bed? Also, can you fit dirtbikes in a short bed?

Thanks for any info in advance! :D

A single dirtbike, diagonally, yes. YOu could always get one of the "bed extenders" to have the added length of the tailgate for the SWB.

Short bed MJ is 6' long bed is 7', tailgate is roughly 18" from bed to top lip which would make the two bed's 7' and 8' respectively. However I wouldn't recommend having any weight resting on the tailgate if you can get away with it as it's not designed for that. The problem you might run into getting a atv into the bed would be the space between the wheel wells, I can try to get a measurement of that distance if you'd like but if building a trailer I'd go for a long bed trailer just for that extra space.

I like the utility aspect of the longbed, but this trailer will probably hit some of the trails with me, so the short bed makes more sense for that. I can always build some sort of support to help keep weight off the tailgate. I could also build a ramp / wheel chock to put the front wheel of my bike up on the front edge of the bed. Next time I go to the junkyard I'll bring a measuring tape and then measure my bike as well.

I've read a few threads about people building these, they are pretty cool. I would avoid putting extra weight on the tailgate if possible. I remember them having issues with the trailers wanting to balance on the axle instead of being tong heavy. You really want to have the weight toward the front to help with handling. Just my 2 cents....

Will 2 bikes or 1 ATV fit straight on with the tailgate down?
1 ATV should fit, most probably with tailgate up depending on size.
I've read a few threads about people building these, they are pretty cool. I would avoid putting extra weight on the tailgate if possible. I remember them having issues with the trailers wanting to balance on the axle instead of being tong heavy. You really want to have the weight toward the front to help with handling. Just my 2 cents....
The weight would still be in the bed. The tailgate down/bed extender is just for he extra length of the tires/etc.

trailer001-1.jpg

u wont.. no balls

Did you check your PMs ??

Curt

So, my dad has been building a trailer to pull behind his JK for a while now and it's just a bit too... Complicated? I want something simple that I can just throw gear in, strap it down and go. I looked at military trailers, but they're heavy and overpriced around here.

So, I started thinking about a Comanche bed trailer, and I really like the idea of it. It seems like it won't be overly heavy (I hope, does anybody know a ballpark weight of one of these?) and I think I can make one nice and simple.

Anybody know of some nice build threads for one of these? I searched and only found a few for sale and very few details. Google turned up some nice pics, I like the look of one of these behind an XJ.

Last question, long bed or short bed? Also, can you fit dirtbikes in a short bed?

Thanks for any info in advance! :D

Back