• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Hard Line

IntrepidXJ

NAXJA Member #647
OK, I've already ran a search, and not found an answer.

Anyways, I'm currently rebuilding a Dana 44 from an 89 XJ. The hard brake line on the axle is broken, so I need to replace it.

Does anyone know if the dealers sell pre-bent hard lines for this axle?

Otherwise, what's the best way to go about replacing it?

Thanks in advance :)

My dealer does not. I had a set made up by Classic Tubing. They are one of two companies that advertise in the back pages of all the automotive magazines.

Note: When I called to order, they told me that they had a pattern for the Cherokee with Dana 44. What arrived was not even close. Fortunately I still had the old lines, so I packed them up with the new ones and shipped everything back. The second try was a lot better.

If they say they have the pattern, be sure they know you have the small Cherokee with the differential in the center -- I think what they sent me might have fit an old full-size Cherokee with the offset pumpkin.

i ran new lines on my D44 last month... dealer told me the right side(longest one) was no longer available and was $150!!!! the short side was not in production but were still around to be had .. at $97.!!!!! i double checked with another parts guy ther next day and that was right pricing.... i dont think so!! i went to the local napa and got some pre-flared tubes.. it seems they come in standard lengths.. like 12 , 22, 36, and 55" or something like that.. get your own tubing bender.. it looks like a double hinged pliers kinda thing... get a quality steel one with degre markings on the side of it.. i bent the 22" peice pefrectly for the drivers side. and the longest one was near perfect for the longer side.. buy extra peices.. practice with a coat hanger to mock it up first.... $25 worth of tube will get you good results and most likely some spare tube sections for some other project.. remember... DO NOT BEND THE TUBING WITH YOUR BARE HANDS any more than a little molding.. it will kink... while you are under there look at the lines that follow the frame as well.... might as well replace them if they look questionable.... the less times you open the system the better.... if you still prefer premade lines there are companies that either have templates made up for vehicles or can recreate your if you send them in.... Eagle used one of the companies but the name escapes me.. a few bucks and an afternoon is the most cost effective way i think..
mike

this is probably the route that i am going to take....cuz i'm low on cash and need to do this as cheap as possible.

anyways, you used 22" piece for the drivers side?

what size did you use for the passenger side? 55"?

also, how much was the tube bender?

thanks for the info

sidriptide said:
[Bi went to the local napa and got some pre-flared tubes.. it seems they come in standard lengths.. like 12 , 22, 36, and 55" or something like that.. get your own tubing bender.. it looks like a double hinged pliers kinda thing... get a quality steel one with degre markings on the side of it.. i bent the 22" peice pefrectly for the drivers side. and the longest one was near perfect for the longer side.. buy extra peices.. practice with a coat hanger to mock it up first.... $25 worth of tube will get you good results and most likely some spare tube sections for some other project.. remember... DO NOT BEND THE TUBING WITH YOUR BARE HANDS any more than a little molding.. it will kink... [/B]

I bent up a new set of lines on my 8.25 in May. Just some tubing, a $5 bender, and the RIGHT flaring tool.

I didn't bother matching exactly what the old lines looked like, I made sure that the new lines terminated in the right location, ran through the existing hold-downs, and where not liable to get snagged.

ChiXJeff

i just looked at my left-over tube.. it's a 51" peice.. the parts guy told me they were"standard" lengths.. i dont know if its industry wide or just from his vendor.. thet were real oddball sizes but worked out perfect.. my bender i got probably 15 yrs ago from the snap-on guy... was probably $30 then... used it once and threw it in the bottom of the box... its one of those things that i have often found a need for when i'm not at home... usually wrenching with someone else.. they are convinced i have every tool under the sun .."at home......" and they never get dirty.. a friend of mine got one a few weeks ago at autozone (because it was closer than my house) for like $15 or $20... good luck!
mike

Back