• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it worth it?

indy-outdoor

NAXJA Forum User
Im 17 with a $3000 budget on a car and I got my dad to buy me a '91 jeep xj for $1200 with 230,000 miles on it with the the engine still running pritty good and also got him to get me a rough country 4.5'' lift kit for about $800 with $150 tires and am wondering if this is too much to be spending on mods with cherokees depleating in numbers and popularity. I also got a bunch of rust in the rear underbody and am wondering if it is worth the effort to get up in there or take it to an autobody shop to rubberize everything for me. I havent opened the lift kit yet for the fear of it being a waste of money. I got a neighbor with an xj wantin me to get into crawlin but currently i just hunt and fish. Advice would be great thanks!

It's only worth it if you want to use the mods to their full potential. If you don't plan on wheeling the thing then you are just throwing money away. If you are talking worth as in resale value then hell no it's not worth it! XJs have terrible resale value, especially with mods. You are guaranteed to lose money on the mods you do. With that said if you plan on having it for a while and want to wheel it then go ahead and mod it. You'll be able to take it out, have some fun and go where you want to go.

Thanks! Yah i love drivin it and the space it offers lets me be able to cart my siblings around so Im not sellin it any time soon. any thoughts on that rust issue im just tryin to get the most out of it without havin to burn a hole in my dads wallet and it may not be a big deal but im wondering if its gonna hurt the lift kit and new leaf springs im putting in. Id be workin but im kinda in a bind in scouts and school.

Some pics of the rust would work wonders to show us the extent and location of the rust. Some surface rust in the cargo area is nothing to be concerned about but if you can remove the gas tank without crawling under it then that's a problem. Try to get some pics of the rust so we can give you a better idea. As far as that goes if you've got rust you want to remove and pre-treat the area before any undercoating is put on otherwise you're just putting a band-aid over a broken leg.

Yah for some reason I cant post any attachments but the rust is mainly behind and in the wheel wells im just wondering if it will spread to my new leafs as there is a little rust around the 2 joints holding the springs in.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=245576163#post245576163

Most of us can't post attachments, even when I was red letters it still said I couldn't. Most of the time we use photobucket or the like and link the pictures here like that thread describes. The rust won't spread to your new leaf springs but if the mounting points for the leaf's are rusted up you need to get it fixed ASAP. I wouldn't like the idea of riding around worried about if today's the day the rust breaks through and the leaf spring jumps out of the mounting point.

How old are you? Getting enrolled in a welding class at your local community college would keep costs down on the rust repair, as well as learning a new skill along the way

Agreed. I paid like 300 for my first welder brand new and it was more than capable of sheetmetal for floors, add like 100 bucks for metal plus some spraypaint and you have new floors anywhere you need them and a new skill and tools. I doubt you could get floors done for under 400 and that price is assuming a brand new welder, a used welder in good shape will cost you even less.

What ken said. The sooner you learn to weld the better your life will be.lol

How far along are you in scouts? Close to eagle?

Back