• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How does this build up on my rockers look

bigalpha

I did the valve cover gasket and took the pics. I don't know much about how it's supposed to look, so some insight would be good. The pics go in order from the front (closest to radiator) to rear.

Last edited:
it is a little excessive but expected in a high milage engine. how many miles? i just did the gasket on mine and it has 245K miles on it and it wasnt as bad as yours. i did however take them off and clean them and as much of the head and springs as i could without getting anything inside the engine. my reasoning for the cleaning is that the airbox pulls air from the valve cover and the more build up, the more dirty air it gets. not the best when smog check time comes around. you can try some oil additives to help clean everything as you drive, but remember all that stuff is then going through the engine and hopefully the oil filter will catch it all.

It looks like you either run shit oil or the vehicle didn't get it's oil changes accordingly. It's not the end of the world. Clean it up and all is well.

It has 172,XXX miles; it's a RENIX motor. No, I haven't been running the highest quality oil because it would all just leak out.

Put 5 quarts of Rotella with a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil, using a Wix or Napa Gold filter and run it. Shine a light down into the oil filler hole once in a while and watch what happens to those sludgy rockers.

rotella oil is what most diesel engines use because it has alot of detergents in it. and it is a good oil. just dont tell everyone, it will just make the price go way up. and when i need to do oil changes on my truck it takes 15 quarts.

Ah that's nothing.... lol You should have seen my rockers on my DD (1989 Renix) when I got it. Keep in mind it was sitting in a field for 3 years before I rescued it and I know nothing of the history before I got it... I actually had to do a head gasket job on it when I got it and had to "find" the head bolts under all that..... It is clean now and has been running strong for the last couple years.....Needs a rebuild as it has 260K something miles and has about 30 psi oil pressure at 70mph now but it still going strong. So you still have hope....lol

Here is a pic of what I saw when I took my VC off for the first time....
HPIM1504.jpg

HPIM1505.jpg

which Rotella product do you use? Same 3-5k oil change cycle?

Holy crap! Those pics make me feel much better about mine.

Once I am sure that I no longer leak oil, I will run a better oil in it. Would 15w-40 be alright?

What do you suggest regarding conventional versus synthetic? My wife was particularly concerned about it.

Back