• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

EBC Ultimax Brake Pads

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone running these? I bought a set last year and installed but the squealing was too much for me...I don't have a long commute to work, but I was under the impression that they were for daily driving. Had them on for about a week and I just couldn't take it....anyone have this problem with these brakes?

I remember them working really well and I still have them and really want to install them again, but just don't want to deal with the noise.

glue a thin piece of aluminum sheet metal (very thin) to the back of them. that should stop the squealing. no experience with those sorry. but i am betting they are better than cheap auto part store ones.

Anyone running these? I bought a set last year and installed but the squealing was too much for me...I don't have a long commute to work, but I was under the impression that they were for daily driving. Had them on for about a week and I just couldn't take it....anyone have this problem with these brakes? how did you break them in?

I remember them working really well and I still have them and really want to install them again, but just don't want to deal with the noise.might be able to sand the outer layer off, clean the rotors, and re-bed the pads

glue a thin piece of aluminum sheet metal (very thin) to the back of them. that should stop the squealing. no experience with those sorry. but i am betting they are better than cheap auto part store ones.cheap pads are cheap pads-- find a quality, OEM supplier, and get good brakes. It's not something to "cheap out" on.(Wagner, Bendix, Akeebono, etc)

Take a file to the edges of the pads and just lightly bevel them a little bit. And lube the back side of the pads with the brake goop you get at the parts store. I use anti seize and it has always worked well. I have never owned a car with squeaky brakes.

All I did to break them in was just drive around...I should have gone out on the highway to break them in.....they never really squealed unless I was at slow speeds....I also put lots of brake disc quiet on the back of the pads when they were installed...I will try to file the edges down a bit and maybe sand them abit....they worked really well, but the noise drove me nuckin futs!

All I did to break them in was just drive around...I should have gone out on the highway to break them in.....they never really squealed unless I was at slow speeds....I also put lots of brake disc quiet on the back of the pads when they were installed...I will try to file the edges down a bit and maybe sand them abit....they worked really well, but the noise drove me nuckin futs!

file 'em and sand 'em a bit, and then start from scratch using the following method (new or re-surfaced rotors are recommended with a new friction formula):

Step 1: Make 10 stops from 30 mph (50 kph) down to about 10 mph (15 kph) using moderate braking pressure and allowing approximately 30 seconds between stops for cooling. Do not drag your pads during these stops. After the 10th stop, allow 15 minutes for your braking system to cool down.
Step 2: Make 5 consecutive stops from 50 mph (80 kph) down to 10 mph (15 kph). After the 5th stop, allow your braking system to cool for approximately 30 minutes. This completes the break-in of your pads to the rotor surface.
During Steps 1 & 2, a de-gassing process occurs which may produce an odor coming from your pads as they complete the break-in cycle. This odor is normal and is part of the process your pads must go through to achieve their ultimate level of performance. The odor will go away after allowing your braking system to cool for approximately 30 minutes.
As with any new set of pads, do not tow a trailer or do any hauling during the break-in period.
Full seating of your new brake pads normally occurs within 1,000 miles.

Back