• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tie rod options

jake3240

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I finally got my axle from dynatrac(yeah, I know, don't ask...) and I want to get rid of the currie steering I've got now. I had the knuckles reamed for a 1 ton chevy OTK setup. I've been looking at the Ballistic kit with the chevy TRE's and the weld in bungs and it seems to be decently priced, but I keep wondering if it would be stronger to tap a piece of DOM or solid stock and thread the ends directly into that. any suggestions? I'd like it to be pretty beefy because I'm a little heavy on the skinny pedal.

Ruff stuffs kit is cheaper... I have it now but haven't done it because I don't think it will clear my diff cover, also ruff stuff. I have looked into offset tie rod ends but I don't think those will clear my wheels.... I see no problem running inserts properly welded, taping soild stock would probably be stronger but sure won't be cheaper, especially if you want left hand thread tie rod ends.
The ruff stuff kit os 1.5" .25 DOM, pretty beffy.

It doesn't matter who you get it from. It's going to be a strong enough DOM tube with either weld in inserts or threaded. Shop for what you want for a price you like. Check out Part's Mike also.

Ruff stuffs kit is cheaper... I have it now but haven't done it because I don't think it will clear my diff cover, also ruff stuff. I have looked into offset tie rod ends but I don't think those will clear my wheels.... I see no problem running inserts properly welded, taping soild stock would probably be stronger but sure won't be cheaper, especially if you want left hand thread tie rod ends.
The ruff stuff kit os 1.5" .25 DOM, pretty beffy.

The ARB covers have the same clearence as the stock covers and the Riddler covers have 1/4 inch less then stock if you wanted to look into a higher clearence cover.

Back