• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Change door glass

cardboard

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 4 door with functional vent wing. I would like to put the door glass from a newer body style in its place and have just 1 great big opening. Can this be done, is there a write up somewhere to do it.
Cardboard

Methinks it may be easier to swap to late-model doors entirely - which can be done (it essentially involves changing the door assembly and the striker - the 1997-up doors use a different striker. I don't know if the older latch can be retrofitted into the new doorshells.)

Information is available on the door swap, so you may want to try looking for that.

Once you're done, at least try to put the "smoker's windows" up for sale to recover some cost - there are people who like having them (like me - I've retrofitted them into each rig I've had.)

I severely doubt that it can be done with out further mods besides just swapping glass. The old style doors had the square window on the back side and the mounting hole on the bottom is centered on that square as well as the internal tracks for rolling it up and down. The new style doors had windows go the full length and as such would have the mounting hole at the bottom of the glass in the middle of it as well as the internal tracks. This means that the mounting holes are likely 3-4" further forward of the old style doors. I would follow 5-90's suggestion to swap to newer doors completely the old hinges can be reused and bolted to the new doors and then mount the new striker to the B-pillar in it's proper place and it's done.

5-90: Unfortunately the old style latches can't be reused in the new style doors, the bolt mounting holes are different and the position is a couple of inches higher than previous years.

I severely doubt that it can be done with out further mods besides just swapping glass. The old style doors had the square window on the back side and the mounting hole on the bottom is centered on that square as well as the internal tracks for rolling it up and down. The new style doors had windows go the full length and as such would have the mounting hole at the bottom of the glass in the middle of it as well as the internal tracks. This means that the mounting holes are likely 3-4" further forward of the old style doors. I would follow 5-90's suggestion to swap to newer doors completely the old hinges can be reused and bolted to the new doors and then mount the new striker to the B-pillar in it's proper place and it's done.

5-90: Unfortunately the old style latches can't be reused in the new style doors, the bolt mounting holes are different and the position is a couple of inches higher than previous years.

I had a hunch - but I wasn't sure. Thanks for that...

Speaking of vent windows.. I have a pair of power doors that I got from another member a while ago. The harness wires that go to the door were cut. Anyone know witch to "wire up" to roll the windows down to get the vent window out? I also have the switches for the doors, removed of course.

Have to get other doors. The front and rear glass run channels are different, with different mounting locations. Regulators different, with different mounting locations (I believe, it's been awhile since I had to do one). Seems like WAY too much work just to have a 1 piece window opening.

Back