• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear Pattern Check

StylerG

NAXJA Forum User
D30, 4.56, Cryo Treated so im trying to get them setup tight like i was told to from Bobby Long.
Pinion shims are around .42 (my drink spilled on my notes so thats from memory)
Pinion Pre-load around 18in pounds
Backlash .004
Carrier pre-load is good, no side to side movement and tight
Drive Side
IMAG0387.jpg

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics thats the only camera i have. You can see the contact patch best on the tooth above where i have the compound in the light my cell phone provided.

Coast Side
IMAG0388.jpg

Like i said, shooting for a tight setup. Only thing that my eyes see is i could use a tad more shim on the pinion to bring it in to the tooth a bit more.

Looks good to me. I wouldn't bring the pinion in any, it looks pretty centered. You're not going to get the tooth contact any deeper than .004 backlash, unless you went to .003. Be easy on the break in. A couple good heat and cooling cycles before you really run it, and change the oil.

I think i would probably leave it. On the drive side it looks like you need more shim, on the coast side it looks like you need less. To me, that says you're as good as you're going to get! :)

thanks guys! Took the setup bearings out tonight and it turned out to be one of those installs that you are pretty much re-doing it all over again with the final bearings in place.

Drive side
IMAG0392.jpg

and coast side
IMAG0391.jpg

Back