• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air Bag Disable While Working in Dash Area 2000 Cherokee

oldbill

NAXJA Forum User
My driver's door speaker has quit working. I currently have the battery disconnected on my 2000 Cherokee. I'm thinking possibly the wirring for that speaker is bad somewhere in the dash. My question is if I remove fuse 26 & 27 for the air bag system and then reconnect my battery is there a chance of setting off the air bag. or would it be the same as if the battery is disconnected if the fuses are removed. Also if any one knows of the most likely cause of this problem please advise.

Thank you in advance
Bill

check the wires that go into the door. I found frayed wires in that little rubber boot that attaches to the door and the body. Apparently it is a common problem and the wires rub against the door enough to peel away the plastic coating. This makes them ground out on the door and not work. I spliced in a new section of wire and was good to go. :cheers:

^^I'll bet you a million dollars to a doughnut that the wire going to the driver side speaker has at least one if not both conductors broken in the area where it passes between the body and the door.

I fixed mine using a Q-Logic kicker snagged from Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-2001-J...t=Car_Audio_Video&vxp=mtr&hash=item4ab44e8a6d

There you go, a link. The sound is good and the repair is forever as the wiring no longer has to make the passage through the flex. Which is what killed it to begin with...

I would think that simply replacing the wire is likely a "forever" fix as well. The stock wiring is rather stiff compared to the generic speaker wire that I used to fix mine, and the thing is already 13 years old, so if the new wire lasts twice as long, probably it'll be someone else's problem at that point. I just hope that that person (likely my cousin's 3-year old son, unless his tastes change) appreciates all the PITA it's been to make it look right - not that the vehicle is naturally a PITA to work on, but the previous installer... um... let's just say there was questionable workmanship involved :)

Thanks for the help

Found the problem. The green speaker wire was broken some where between the speaker and the connector in side of the Jeep behind the kick panel. Hardest part of the job was routing the new wire through the grommet/boot inside of the jeep. Thanks jeepkid3 and o-gauge-steamer.

Back