• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 4.0 starts then dies-sometimes

Bender3012

NAXJA Forum User
Its got about 212,000 miles. It starts every morning. Only when i get to about the 20th start of the night do I have to floor it and crank it to get her started. I use it as a delivery vehicle on weekdays :( Any suggestions?

I"ve got a 95 also, 213000 miles and put about 400 miles a week on it. Yesterday replaced the ignition switch. Mine started when I would touch the key before actually shutting it off, it would die. If i pulled hard on the steering wheel the rpms would drop momentarily. Then it started with the start and die routine, I found that wiggling the key around would help it get started. Last week it died while I was driving, so I figured it was time to replace it.
Go to Rockauto.com and look up the part, they also have a how-to video on replacing this switch, not hard at all.

I only needed one tool, a t20 security long shaft torx, I found a good set of them for $20 at Northern Tool here in Minnesota.

Good luck

Thanks for the reply, I tested the wires leading to the ignition switch with no luck, but I'll take that switch apart tomorrow and see whats happening in there.

Back