• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So how bad is AAL and a lift shackle, really?

HQuakers

NAXJA Forum User
So after installing my rear tire carrier a few months ago, my rear is sagging a bit with the 32 on the back. The rear of my Jeep has Skyjacker AALs and new Zone Nitro shocks, but it's not getting the job done.

I really just want to lift the rear about 1" for the time being, until I decide if I'm going to either go with a completely new lift or just new rear leaves. Does anyone have any first-hand experience with doing a lift shackle and AALs? Can I get away with it for, say, 6months? I drive my Jeep every day about 15 miles a day during the week, and sees light trail duty some weekends.

Picture for reference:

cLP69.jpg

(yes, I did search, but couldn't find conclusive facts one way or the other)

I've been running an AAL and Teraflex shackle for over a year with no ill effects. I say go for it. Especially if you plan on getting a new leafpacks in the near future.

Why not go with relocation boxes, and ditch the AAL if it's too tall? That should get you the lift, plus a better ride for not much more $$$.

I ran 2.5" lift AAL on my 130k OE leafs and a 2" shackle for 3 years. It was a little harsh ride but It did what I wanted it to with no problems.

AAL's are fine... untill they ruin your leafpack, inducing axle wrap and sag.

Theyre fine, if you take that into consideration, they make give you some extra time to figure out your rear lfit...

I wouldnt buy them though... thats good money you should be spending on good parts. Look into bastard packs.

I wouldnt buy them though... thats good money you should be spending on good parts. Look into bastard packs.

Agreed though I don't know much about them.. But I seen someone selling some in my area he said they were xj main leaf and Chev S10 pack made 4.5"
I guess that would be cheap from a pull yard? I would say research it there is plenty of people that do stuff like that.

AAL's are fine... untill they ruin your leafpack, inducing axle wrap and sag.

Theyre fine, if you take that into consideration, they make give you some extra time to figure out your rear lfit...

That's all great, but I'm not buying AALs. I already have them installed (came with the Jeep) and they've been on there for god knows how long. They weren't sagging until I put on the rear tire carrier and 32, and now they are a little. No axle wrap either.

I'm just wondering if I can get away with a 1" lift shackle for about 6 months until I either redo the whole suspension or just get new leaves (most likely gonna take the latter approach).

I figure $75 for a small lift shackle temporarily would be better than taking the leaves out, making a bastard pack, buying new U-bolts again (just replaced the old ones), and installing them, especially if I'm probably going to buy a full leaf pack w/bushings in 6 months to replace what's in there now.

I had the exact same problem with my 98XJ after I added my Hanson rear bumper + tire carrier + 31 inch spare. The ass-end dropped due to worn leafs sooo I did the 1 inch shackle fix as well.

I've been running a BDS 3 inch lift AAL kit, plus their 1 inch shackle with no issues for about a year. If you have a SYE kit on your rear transfercase output it shouldn't be a problem... it did stiffen up the ride some but nothing major.

From the picture of your XJ...

I can't tell if you are running with -or- without a 1 inch cross-member drop. There is something shiny between uni-body & cross-member in the picture. But just in case you are running a stock rear drive shaft with the slip-yolk and 1 inch cross-member drop, then be sure to double-check to be sure you don't have rear drive-shaft extension issues without the rear end loaded down.

Last edited:
I've been running an AAL and Teraflex shackle for over a year with no ill effects. I say go for it. Especially if you plan on getting a new leafpacks in the near future.

Thanks for the input. Appreciate it!

Why not go with relocation boxes, and ditch the AAL if it's too tall? That should get you the lift, plus a better ride for not much more $$$.

I'll have a look into them. Thanks!

I ran 2.5" lift AAL on my 130k OE leafs and a 2" shackle for 3 years. It was a little harsh ride but It did what I wanted it to with no problems.

Great, thanks for the info!

Yeah you can do it nothings wrong with a longer shackle.

Thanks!

Sorry, my reading comprehension is bringing the fail!

Ha, no worries! I appreciate you taking the time to answer though!

Ironman makes an adjustable shackles. You might want to check them out.

Thanks, I'll look into them.

no complaints with my 1.5" shackles. still rides well.

Thanks for the info!

I had the exact same problem with my 98XJ after I added my Hanson rear bumper + tire carrier + 31 inch spare. The ass-end dropped due to worn leafs sooo I did the 1 inch shackle fix as well.

I've been running a BDS 3 inch lift AAL kit, plus their 1 inch shackle with no issues for about a year. If you have a SYE kit on your rear transfercase output it shouldn't be a problem... it did stiffen up the ride some but nothing major.

From the picture of your XJ...

I can't tell if you are running with -or- without a 1 inch cross-member drop. There is something shiny between uni-body & cross-member in the picture. But just in case you are running a stock rear drive shaft with the slip-yolk and 1 inch cross-member drop, then be sure to double-check to be sure you don't have rear drive-shaft extension issues without the rear end loaded down.

Sounds like we're in the same boat. I have a 1.5" TC drop installed. Came with the Jeep. I don't like it but some of the bolts were replaced and I'm too scare to take them out for fear of having to tap a larger hole, etc. Too much of a PITA for me. I am running a stock rear driveshaft. It looks pretty much exactly the same as it did before the tire carrier and I have no vibes at all. I'll keep an eye out on it. Thanks for the info!

My AAL failed after a month so I'm not a fan. I'm now running a rear shackle from the AAL 1.5 lift I belive. And full 4.5 RC leafs. rear tire carrier and a few hundred pounds of tools/spare parts. I'm getting ready to put in a 1" block to bring up the rear to make it level.

Definitely recommend doing the shackle relocators.. will give you that 1" lift, AND is a solid mod for the future. New shackle angle, will probably keep the ride the same or better.

I went from AAL's to a bastard pack to OME packs.......I'm not going back. I'm going to be adding HDOR shackle boxes soon. Just get it over with and buy packs.

Still on the fence about what I'm going to do. I like the idea of the relocation boxes but my nutstrip is a little hacked up because of my rear tire carrier. Plus, I really, really don't want to remove the rear tire carrier if I don't have to. I may end up just saving for some new leaves. I can live with a little sag until then. Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions.

Back