• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement tailpipe options / PA side exhaust legality

gba88

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys,
I'm sick and tired of the advance/aftermarket tailpipes rotting off at the hanger every year or so...and being about $50-$60 to boot each time! I tried researching, but didn't find a clear answer and the one thread that mentioned an alternative had a dead link.

First off...anyone know if it's legal to eliminate the tailpipe in Pennsylvania and put an elbow on or something to have it exit the side by the rear passenger door?

if not....is there an aftermarket pipe that isn't super expensive but will last more than a couple years in the rust belt? I have to replace my rotted out muffler soon and figured I'd do the tailpipe at the same time so I don't have to wrestle it off the muffler while not worrying about cutting or destroying it. Thanks for any help....

i can't see how the location of the tailpipe matters as long as it passes emissions and state inspection. I grew up in pa, and I know my old ranger had the tailpipe exiting off to the side behind the rear tire. I hear your with the rust belt. I used to spray my hanger and tailpipe with rustolium and use a stainless clamp.

Some states won't allow the pipe to exit forward of the rear wheel, so it's worth checking MV laws. If you have annual inspections or the like, someone who does this should know. If you can't exit forward of the rear wheel, then there's not much you can do to improve it.

When my pipes rot off the hangers, I just cob up new hangers.

i can't see how the location of the tailpipe matters as long as it passes emissions and state inspection. I grew up in pa, and I know my old ranger had the tailpipe exiting off to the side behind the rear tire. I hear your with the rust belt. I used to spray my hanger and tailpipe with rustolium and use a stainless clamp.

yeah worst part is i had to give up my 96 with only about 197k on it due to rusting out and no longer having structural integrity. just started driving my 99 again and it sat too long... had a brake line go out and the track bar was frozen....so now i find the muffler is blown out too. not a good week.

the last time mine rotted out at the hanger, I went to NAPA and got 2 1/2 ID to 2 1/2 OD adapter and just hooked it back up. The hanger clamp was the only place on my entire exhaust that seemed to want to rust out. When you live in the rust belt you have to either choose an exhaust that will hold up to a beating while wheeling or one that won't rust. I wouldn't want to smash up a stainless exhaust.

Between the salt water (The Jeep is primarily used for surf fishing) & winter road salt I was going through standard exhaust systems ever other year, A couple of years ago I installed a Borla stainless Cat back system & It stills shows ZERO signs of corrosion.

If you want just a stainless tailpipe there is a guy on E-Bay that sells
"84-01 Jeep Cherokee Mandrel Bent Stainless Tailpipe"
I have no experience with this guy or the tailpipe but it looks like it should be OK. Good Luck!

Between the salt water (The Jeep is primarily used for surf fishing) & winter road salt I was going through standard exhaust systems ever other year, A couple of years ago I installed a Borla stainless Cat back system & It stills shows ZERO signs of corrosion.

If you want just a stainless tailpipe there is a guy on E-Bay that sells
"84-01 Jeep Cherokee Mandrel Bent Stainless Tailpipe"
I have no experience with this guy or the tailpipe but it looks like it should be OK. Good Luck!

Thanks! i'll check this out.... yeah, it rots off at the hanger then that whole bend just rots out...i've fixed it with several different things before...soup cans....aluminum sheets clamped around it...

I installed a Dynamax cat-back, and got three years out of the muffler and the pipe. The pipe went right at the welded-on hanger at the bend. Just re-did it, with the Dynamax tailpipe, but a cheapo Thrush turbo muffler-$29 at Advance. Next time, I may just bite the bullet and go all stainless. Double the value of the vehicle!

Gotta love the crap that PA sprays on the roads.

Back