• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1998 motor in a 2000

yes and no, you would either need to change the head over to the 0331 or make a adapter for the coil rail and exhaust since the ports are smaller on the '00 up

Well if you have the precats the exhaust manifold won't work but I'm not sure how the exhaust is on the '00 without the precats or if they even came without them. Swapping the heads may be the best option but the blocks should be the same. You should also get the head checked out since the 0331 heads like to crack, mine cracked right under the oil fill cap and could be seen bubbling coolant when hot.

I am actually getting the complete 1998 donor vehicle, so I am hoping this will make the swap much simpler.
You don't need the donor chassis. The main differences are in the engine controls. You'll want to keep all the '00 sensors

The '98 has a distributor, which you'll toss. There's a sensor on the '00 engine in the distributor location, called a cam position sensor. This needs to go on the '98.
There's a coil rail on the '00, bolted to the head. You need to get a '00 or later head(expensive/hard), or make custom coil brackets(cheap/easy) to hold the coil rail in place. This replaces the distributor(You can't just use the dist. on the '00)
The '00 head has a different exhaust port layout then the '98, so the exhaust manifold won't swap between years. The '98 has a different exhaust/cat. converter layout then the '00. If you install the later head to solve the coil rail problem, it also solves the port layout mismatch. If you use the earlier head, they make the adapter plate, or you can go custom header route.
The '00 has four O2 sensors, which all need to be connected. Some '00s have 2 small pre-cats on the exhaust manifolds(split on the '00-up models) with the O2 sensors mounted before and after them. I think you could weld sensor bungs in an after-market '98 "tri-y" header where the pipes group from six to two(one in each mini-collector), then weld two "after cat" sensor bungs behind the single under-car cat. This would give proper sensor/computer/engine operation, but probably wouldn't pass emissions. It would fail the visual check.

You don't need the donor chassis. The main differences are in the engine controls. You'll want to keep all the '00 sensors

The '98 has a distributor, which you'll toss. There's a sensor on the '00 engine in the distributor location, called a cam position sensor. This needs to go on the '98.
There's a coil rail on the '00, bolted to the head. You need to get a '00 or later head(expensive/hard), or make custom coil brackets(cheap/easy) to hold the coil rail in place. This replaces the distributor(You can't just use the dist. on the '00)
The '00 head has a different exhaust port layout then the '98, so the exhaust manifold won't swap between years. The '98 has a different exhaust/cat. converter layout then the '00. If you install the later head to solve the coil rail problem, it also solves the port layout mismatch. If you use the earlier head, they make the adapter plate, or you can go custom header route.
The '00 has four O2 sensors, which all need to be connected. Some '00s have 2 small pre-cats on the exhaust manifolds(split on the '00-up models) with the O2 sensors mounted before and after them. I think you could weld sensor bungs in an after-market '98 "tri-y" header where the pipes group from six to two(one in each mini-collector), then weld two "after cat" sensor bungs behind the single under-car cat. This would give proper sensor/computer/engine operation, but probably wouldn't pass emissions. It would fail the visual check.

Moving the o2 sensors after the other cat wont work, ive tried, i'm guessing the extra wire making more resistance throws a code. You would have to get o2 simulators, plus removing the precats would be against fed regulations, if you care about that.

In theory, you could swap in enough 98 parts to make it run and drive. You would be violating Federal emissions laws and it will never pass a smog inspection.

Moving the o2 sensors after the other cat wont work, ive tried, i'm guessing the extra wire making more resistance throws a code. You would have to get o2 simulators, plus removing the precats would be against fed regulations, if you care about that.
I'm pretty sure it's more the issue that the upstream sensors end up further down and won't respond quite as quickly, as well as the downstream sensors not responding anywhere near as quickly as the ECU expects to see from a mixture change.

You probably could swap all the 98 engine bay electronics over and make it work but as mentioned it'll probably fail any emissions inspection.

I would get the exhaust manifold adapter plate.

Also check Talyn's thread on using a Dodge Viper coil pack to eliminate the 00-01 XJ coil rail.

My 2000 XJ only has two O2 sensors and one catalytic converter...just FYI. I also do not have a leak detection pump. There must have been some variability there?

Just did something similar to this. I put a 0721(from 94 HO) head into a 2000 cherokee, and it bolted up and covered all ports. You have to use the 2000 manifold gasket. The 98 should have a 0630 head, which I believe has ports more similar to the 0331 head. Use caution if using the 0331 head as it is notorious for cracking.
On another note, my 2000 does not have the pre-cats so I could have used the older style exhaust manifold with a modified down-pipe. A member on here told me he had used the newer style(2000+) exhaust manifold on older heads in a few jeeps and never had a problem, so I retained the 2000 manifold in my jeep.

Back