• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's compatable with a 1987 XJ?

Crist Clapper

NAXJA Forum User
When I'm shopping for replacement/NOS non-mechanical restoration stuff... What other years/models might be interchangeable? Be kind... I'm a NEWB! :wave1:

What other models are compatible with a 1987 XJ?

What other models are compatible with a 1987 XJ?

depends on what part you are looking for.

Most body parts are compatible up to about 96, but it depends on the specific component.

Engine parts, transmission, transfer case, radiator, and electronics are mostly compatible up to about '90.

Brakes - mostly compatible up to '90, if it is a 2wd the brakes may be compatible up to a 92.0 (92.5 is incompatible for sure.)

Fuel tank is swappable up to '96, pump assembly may be different.

Air conditioning compressor is compatible up to '90, if you swap to a 91-95 bracket you can use up to a '94 compressor or '95 if you switch to R134a (iirc, it might work without switching, but good luck getting R12 now.)

Serpentine belt stuff and power steering is swappable up to a '95.

Water pump IIRC is swappable across the whole range - all the way up to '01. Same goes for motor mounts, axleshafts (as long as it's the same axle... you probably have a d35 and a d30, might be a disco d30 in which case only up to 91 or 92 or so is usable unless you convert to non-disco), front driveshaft.

Most sites will give a year range for the part you're looking at but some get it wrong. If you can give more specifics we can probably tell you whether or not a given part will interchange.

For non-mechanical, you're pretty well compatible through 96, but there were changes in seats and steering column for 95 and 96. Avoid the 95-96 steering column if you can, which has a mechanical air bag, nasty little horn buttons, and fewer steps in the intermittent wiper switch. I think the seats mount differently too, so you'd need to do some modification. The grille assembly changed somewhere in the early 90's as well, but the whole assembly interchanges. Later ones are one piece without a separate surround. You can't mount a later grille upside down but you can on an 87.

91-up use an entirely different speedometer and gauge cluster. An electronic rather than mechanical speedo. and the gauges and sensors have opposite polarity.

The door hinge design changed somewhere in there, but I think the doors can be swapped. However, double check the striker and latch assembly before committing to a later door.

Steering gear will interchange, as will pumps at least through 95, but the boost is different. Later models have less boost than the 87. No compatibility problems, but you'll feel the difference.

Windshield trim changes somewhere around 95, from metal with clips to a rubber surround. The rubber is nicer, less likely to rattle and buzz and come loose.

Folks... You-all are providing just what I need. Below is what is initiating the question(s). Sort-of using it as a guide to get started on this restoration.

1) The XJ Wagoneer and Cherokee were basically identical, except that the Wagoneer had vertically stacked low and high beam headights with front turn signals moved behind the grille, and the woodgrain side panels of SJ tradition.

3) A variation on the Cherokee from 1984 through 1990 was the Jeep Wagoneer. The compact XJ Wagoneer was available in two trim levels: the "Wagoneer" and the "Wagoneer Limited". Both Wagoneers were distinguished from the Cherokee models by their two vertically arranged headlights on each side of the grille. The Wagoneer Limited came with vinyl wood trim on the sides and leather seats embossed with "Limited."

I seem to recall that the Wagoneer also had all-red taillights. It also had all the chrome options possible, shared for the most part with the highest line Cherokees. After 1990, there was a wood-grain version of Cherokee called the Briarwood, like a Wagoneer but without the quad headlights.

If you're actually looking at Wagoneers of that era, beware of rust concealed under the vinyl appliqué. Around here, at least, Waggy's were notorious for this. Rust would grow unseen, until there was not enough left behind the plastic to hold it together, whereupon it would turn into huge ragged holes seemingly overnight.

I found my 1st set of Waggy taillights on an '85 that didn't have the 4 headlight setup too. I always thought someone had changed it, but never bothered to investigate it much. Half of the Heep was decked out with Waggy features (interior and tailgate) and half said Pioneer (fenders & I forget where else)

This is mine for reference:

Left_Front.jpg

Back.jpg

Can't mount the 96 grill upside down, at least the one I had on my 96. I tried to see how it'd look and it wouldn't even come close to fitting in the header panel that way.

The grill on my 96 came upside down. It wasn't until I joined here that I knew anything was wrong.

OP: what is the scope of your project? We could probably give better answers if we knew.

Sweet piece! Right out of grand-pop's garage I'll bet. Where are you hiding the rust? Especially in PA...Ask me how I know.

We hung that front-end on my son's '95. Harness was plug and play, once I put the fire out! Seems the driving light relays, which are part of the harness (and not on the radiator support, like 'normal' XJs) were bad, and once we put power to it, POOF! I re-wired around the relays, as his car didn't have the aux. lights anyway. Looks way cool, but you're very limited with headlight choices due to the odd size bulbs. When my son was looking, there were no H4 conversions available, and the OEM type bulbs just don't put out a ton of light. He settled on some pricey HID units, which are bright, but not focused too well, as the bulb body forces the HID bulb too close to the front glass.

LMAO, Restoration, that thing looks brand new, LOL!!!!!

Wish mine looked that good. Feel free to PM me anytime, or ask here, I have the same exact 87 Wagoneer, mostly still stock, except some very minor wiring and coolant systems improvements. About 275,000 miles on it, and using as a DD, daily driver.

Folks... You-all are providing just what I need. Below is what is initiating the question(s). Sort-of using it as a guide to get started on this restoration.

1) The XJ Wagoneer and Cherokee were basically identical, except that the Wagoneer had vertically stacked low and high beam headights with front turn signals moved behind the grille, and the woodgrain side panels of SJ tradition.

3) A variation on the Cherokee from 1984 through 1990 was the Jeep Wagoneer. The compact XJ Wagoneer was available in two trim levels: the "Wagoneer" and the "Wagoneer Limited". Both Wagoneers were distinguished from the Cherokee models by their two vertically arranged headlights on each side of the grille. The Wagoneer Limited came with vinyl wood trim on the sides and leather seats embossed with "Limited."

Back