• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Info

CarolinaCrawler

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys Im new to the board. I've been wheeling for a few years and just heard about the crawl from some guys in knoxville and new I had to go. I'm having a hard time coming up with some good info on this thing though. So far I know its the weeking after the 4th and its at harlan county campground. Could you guys fill me in a little? Where to sign in and whats needed to ride (registration wise). I've never been to harlan but have always wanted to go. I've got a couple other guys wanting to go also. Thanks for the help!

It is the weekend after the 4th. July 6th-8th. The sign up has not started yet but will in the next couple of months. I drive 5 hours from Indiana every year to attend and I can assure you its a damn good time! We start wheeling Friday morning, have a potluck dinner that night, saturday we wheel again then have a meal provided by a local place. The last two years has been pizza from Black Mountain Pizza Co. Sunday I head home.

Depending where in NC you are, try to touch base with UNCC_99XJ (is that right Tim?) or Cnickgo. They both come up from NC every year for the crawl.

I think this year, I will come in Thursday night, get 3 full days of wheeling in, then head home on Monday.

The costs are *usually* about $20 a night to camp if you get a site with electric. Less if you pitch a tent in the field. More if you get a cabin. Registration is in the $30ish range and gets you a sticker, the dinner, and a couple raffle tickets. There is a t-shirt available in the $15ish range. We do a raffle and tickets are $1 a piece. You have to buy a park permit...either a 1 year or a 31 day permit. Don't recall what that runs. This year we are also doing a potluck where a food donation gets you dinner!

The campground is about 10 minutes outside town where there are several gas stations, a Wal-Mart, some groceries, and a couple auto parts stores. The campground has a full bath house with flush toilets and nice showers...I think 6 of them. They have a small store for ice also. The campground also has an air compressor on site.

Last year I did 4 days and 3 nights up from Nashville, and with all my costs (fuel, food, event misc, etc) I ended up spending about $290.

Like Aaron said, there will be a registration thread started sometime in the near future. Keep your eyes out for it.

Oh, finally, check article IX section 3 for information on the required equipment for a run. We do tech inspection before allowing anyone on the trails.
http://www.naxja.org/html/bylaws.htm

Welcome aboard!

Welcome! We will have the registration up soon. This is the most important info you need on vehicle requirements:

Equipment List
Visibly charged fire extinguisher (BC or ABC)
First aid kit
Adequate spare tire, jack and lug wrench
Safety belts for driver and any current passenger
Adequate attachment points in the front and rear of the vehicle:
Acceptable forms of attachment points: (All Items must be mounted in a manner to provide adequate strength and integrity)
Tow hooks of OEM or greater integrity
D-Rings
Shackle/Clevis
20ft 10,000lb snatch strap without any metal hooks
Secured battery (no bungee cords)

Thanks for all the help guys! I'm getting pretty excited about going. Harlan is a place we always wanted to go. We're located in western NC between hickory and ashville. Its about a 4hr ride for us. I'll be hauling mine but the others will drive theres. Ive got all the required equempemnt but a spare tire. Will that be ok? We've waited to go with some guys that know the trails and wont give us a hard time for not driving a "real" jeep. lol. Now I've got to figure out if I want to go on thursday after work or friday morning so I can reserve a spot!

Thanks for all the help guys! I'm getting pretty excited about going. Harlan is a place we always wanted to go. We're located in western NC between hickory and ashville. Its about a 4hr ride for us. I'll be hauling mine but the others will drive theres. Ive got all the required equempemnt but a spare tire. Will that be ok? We've waited to go with some guys that know the trails and wont give us a hard time for not driving a "real" jeep. lol. Now I've got to figure out if I want to go on thursday after work or friday morning so I can reserve a spot!

I say as long as the group you are in has a couple spares you should be fine.

Can you give us an idea about how you are built and the others coming with you are built?

As of right now I've only got one guy that has confirmed going with me. He's a 93 xj with 6" lift and lockers. Hes got a hp30 and 8.8 with 4.88 gears and spartan and spool. Hes rolling on 35" mickey tompson ttc claws. He should have sliders by then. Hes got custom front and rear bumpers. My rig is a 99 with partial exo and 38.5s. I've got a hp44 and dana 60 in mine with 4.1 np231.
Heres my friends on 33s
kenny.jpg

Heres mine at a local event called the "Farm"
Me2.jpg

And another of mine at a local event called the "Flats". My first flop! It was soo muddy!!
rollover3.jpg

Depending where in NC you are, try to touch base with UNCC_99XJ (is that right Tim?) or Cnickgo. They both come up from NC every year for the crawl.

Correct you are, sir.

Given that it's 4 months out, we obviously haven't figured out what day exactly we'll be heading up and coming back. Last year, I met Nick in Winston Salem, as it was a good meeting spot for me from Charlotte, and him from the Raleigh area. Maybe this year, if we can all arrange to leave on the same day, we could all meet in Boone or there about and then caravan the rest of the way from there. Just an initial thought...

I have Wednesday-Friday off of work, so that's the 4th-6th. Initially i'm thinking I'll head up on Thursday the 5th, wheel Friday & Saturday, then head home on Sunday the 8th.

It's definitely a good time. Last year was the first year both Nick and I attended the Crawl and we both had an absolute blast...an event we still talk about today! Perhaps the best part of the trip is, there's something for everybody. There's hardcore trails for the people with hardcore rigs, then there's more moderate trails for those of us who aren't as built up, and/or have to rely on our rigs to get us home at the end of the weekend.

There's a lot of behind the scenes work done by the fine people that run the SEC for this event, and it really shows. The fact that we even have multiple people from the mid-west chapter show up to wheel says a lot.

Keep an eye out for the official registration thread that will come up before too long. Since you've obviously found the section for the Crawl, you'll find anything you need to know about it in here...eventually :D

Correct you are, sir.

Given that it's 4 months out, we obviously haven't figured out what day exactly we'll be heading up and coming back. Last year, I met Nick in Winston Salem, as it was a good meeting spot for me from Charlotte, and him from the Raleigh area. Maybe this year, if we can all arrange to leave on the same day, we could all meet in Boone or there about and then caravan the rest of the way from there. Just an initial thought...

I have Wednesday-Friday off of work, so that's the 4th-6th. Initially i'm thinking I'll head up on Thursday the 5th, wheel Friday & Saturday, then head home on Sunday the 8th.

It's definitely a good time. Last year was the first year both Nick and I attended the Crawl and we both had an absolute blast...an event we still talk about today! Perhaps the best part of the trip is, there's something for everybody. There's hardcore trails for the people with hardcore rigs, then there's more moderate trails for those of us who aren't as built up, and/or have to rely on our rigs to get us home at the end of the weekend.

There's a lot of behind the scenes work done by the fine people that run the SEC for this event, and it really shows. The fact that we even have multiple people from the mid-west chapter show up to wheel says a lot.

Keep an eye out for the official registration thread that will come up before too long. Since you've obviously found the section for the Crawl, you'll find anything you need to know about it in here...eventually :D

I have the 3rd - 6th off. I plan on going up on the 3rd or 4th. If anyone happens to be around I'll wheel the 4th and 5th. If not the boys and I might go do some sight seeing. Hope you have RCV's or spares for that D44. ;) Looking foward to wheeling with you and meeting you. If you happen to be at the Jambree at URE at the end of the month some of us will be there.

We are planing on going to uharrie at the end of the month. We've never been there and would love to ride with yall. I did have some axle shaft problems at first but I got a really nice set of shafts from chase at ECGS that have worked really well so par. Brandon at rides has these axles on his d44 and has split drive flanges with em. But I do have a set of yukons as spares :laugh:.

We are planing on going to uharrie at the end of the month. We've never been there and would love to ride with yall. I did have some axle shaft problems at first but I got a really nice set of shafts from chase at ECGS that have worked really well so par. Brandon at rides has these axles on his d44 and has split drive flanges with em. But I do have a set of yukons as spares :laugh:.

Sounds good. I will be there for thet Day Saturday. Would love to ride with you. I usually start out on Daniel in the am. Not sure this time bc of the event and all. URE is and will be easy for you guys but it is fun IMHO!

I have the 3rd - 6th off. I plan on going up on the 3rd or 4th. If anyone happens to be around I'll wheel the 4th and 5th. If not the boys and I might go do some sight seeing. Hope you have RCV's or spares for that D44. ;) Looking foward to wheeling with you and meeting you. If you happen to be at the Jambree at URE at the end of the month some of us will be there.

Not everyone drives like a wild bat out of hell and needs spare shafts for their 44 ;)

How soon should i reserve my campsite or will they have plenty?

You shouldn't have to worry but call Steven at the campground and ask him. He is a super nice guy and cares about what his campers think.......hence why there won't be any woods buggies there this year! ;)

How soon should i reserve my campsite or will they have plenty?

They have plenty of primitive campsites. The cabins are going quick or already gone. If you need an electrical site, I'd go ahead and get your reservations in.

They have plenty of primitive campsites. The cabins are going quick or already gone. If you need an electrical site, I'd go ahead and get your reservations in.

Yea if you want electric or a cabin do it now. I'd bet the cabins are gone though. I'm really excited about this years Crawl, it will be number 10 in a row for me. There are some people coming down that I meet at the first one and some that I have talked to for years on this board but never meet.

Yea if you want electric or a cabin do it now. I'd bet the cabins are gone though. I'm really excited about this years Crawl, it will be number 10 in a row for me. There are some people coming down that I meet at the first one and some that I have talked to for years on this board but never meet.

That is exactly how I felt at winterfest and am looking forward to finally meeting folks I have talked to on the forums for years at this one also

Back