• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ master cylinder swap bendix 9

89xjdd

NAXJA Forum User
1989 xj bendix 9 abs swap to 00 wj booster and M/C. What port on the m/c goes to the front and which to the rear. I did a search and there is a lot of talk fo front and rear ports, and it gets confusing. There is a m10 port (smaller), and a m12 port (bigger)on the M/c. The m10 port is the is the one that close th the firewall. I pulled the bendix 9 system off:cheers: and lines were going all over the place :(. thanks...

Re: WJ master cyclinder swap bendix 9

I cant help you on the ports, but Ive replaced enough of those Bendix ABS systems to know youve got your hands full with all the different thread sizes. I think you would be better off starting fresh with ALL of the brake lines and doing it right to begin with, that way you will have the lines go where you need them to go, and have the right size fittings. And just as a side note.... did you know that the Bendix ABS is lifetime warrantied by the dealership if you have any problems with it?

did you know that the Bendix ABS is lifetime warrantied by the dealership if you have any problems with it?

the entire system is NOT covered in the recall/warranty. only some of the parts (cannot remember which ones) and no labor. when my brother tried to take an 89 to the dealership they said "no problem" it will just be about $1500 for all the rest of the parts needed and labor. just do the swap and get a good double flare tool. all the fittings you will need can be salvaged from the bendix system. just get the short lines from the junk yard and re-flare the correct fittings onto them. pretty easy actually.

I did the swap ill look today and try and get pics. I had to make a couple custom lines with the double flared ends and some adapters. works great I still need an adjustable proportioning valve.

As a general rule with brakes, the 'large' port is always the rear brakes.

I just checked the KOH car, and the forward most m12 port is the rear.

the entire system is NOT covered in the recall/warranty. only some of the parts (cannot remember which ones) and no labor. when my brother tried to take an 89 to the dealership they said "no problem" it will just be about $1500 for all the rest of the parts needed and labor. just do the swap and get a good double flare tool. all the fittings you will need can be salvaged from the bendix system. just get the short lines from the junk yard and re-flare the correct fittings onto them. pretty easy actually.

The master cylinder assy and the pump assy are usually covered. I think the recall says to just replace the internals of the master cylinder, but if I (as a tech) tell them that is stuck and wont come out, they tell you to replace the whole thing. Ive done this recall many times. No it doesnt cover sensors or lines, but the main parts of the ABS are covered. Maybe your brothers dealer was being more of a hardass about it. I dont know.

that is probably it. i dont think the dealer wanted to help at all really. they told him the entire pump was not covered, just a part of it. and of course the part that was frozen was not covered. it had hardly no brakes at all. well only if you pulled the E brake. thats how i moved it around. i know when i read the recall, it said that most of the system was covered. but it is written in a way that can be misinterpreted. then again, if the dealer tells you they wont cover it, who are you going to get to do it? i suppose he could have kept going to dealership after dealership, but he needed a car and doesnt know dick about how to fix them. daddy just bought him another car.

Back