• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OTA track bar questions

dirtweazle

NAXJA Forum User
4.5-5" lift running 33x12.5's
Steering is WJ knuckles and 3 flipped WJ rod ends.
RE HD frame mount.
This truss from Ballistic http://tinyurl.com/7rcbvwq
I am considering this axle side mount: http://tinyurl.com/6s4blby

Main question is can I get away with a strait track bar and clear the diff and truss? Should I go inline on the axle side or offset? DO I need all these bends in it? JJ at each end or just one and a polly axle side?
If strait I have 1.5 DOM Cromo. I am rebuilding a spare axle and will swap all parts over weekend. Would like to have everything ready. I know i will probably need to cut to length and weld this TB at install time.

Still a D30, correct?

My setup is:

5" lift
Ballistic truss
RE frame side track bar mount
JKS OTA axle side TB mount

Basically, I took my RE HD track bar and shortened it to fit in the JKS bracket. This left the bends it in near the pumpkin and one small bend near the axle. I think without the bend near the diff, it wouldn't clear because I don't have a crazy lift. When the driver's side of the axle flexes up, the track bar mount contacts the truss ever so slightly.

Kinda see it here:
2011-07-23_18-12-47_873-1.jpg

Only problem I see with that TnT mount is that it shortens your TB pretty good. You could possibly alleviate that by getting a frame side bracket that sticks out towards the tire a bit, but make sure it doesn't hit your spring or steering. It'd have to be forward of the stock mount to clear the diff and spring.

On the axle side, definitely get a mount that is offset a bit towards the front, but not too much so it hits your steering. You shouldn't have too much of a problem with the WJ steering, and you can even get offset TRE's for more clearance. You just want a bracket that lets you have the longest track bar possible, which might be the JCR or JKS piece.

You could try to fit a straight piece in there if you can get the TB to run in front of the diff. Maybe get some 1.5" PVC to try it out with your mounts before you cut and weld anything in there.

As far as bushings go, don't use em. I've got a RE hard joint on one side and a brand new poly bushing on the other and I still get too much movement. I'd say check out the Ruff Stuff TB kit and use heims on both sides. You don't want any side to side play.

No reason that TnT bracket won't work. I haven't used it, but they make good stuff so it should be fine. If you're concerned with track bar length you could use the GenRight frame side mount which moves the track bar out side of the frame.

Or, with the WJ knuckles you could do what we did.

2012-01-17_20-05-12_421.jpg

I have the RE HD TB and JKS OTA axle bracket (not that it really matters) as well. I just cut the bar at the axle bushing, grinded what was left of the tube off, shortened the tube, reshaped it to fit and rewelded it. It's been working fine for several years now. My bracket is mounted more inward of the coil bucket so the tube is parellel with the axle tube.

4.5-5" lift running 33x12.5's
Steering is WJ knuckles and 3 flipped WJ rod ends.
RE HD frame mount.
This truss from Ballistic http://tinyurl.com/7rcbvwq
I am considering this axle side mount: http://tinyurl.com/6s4blby

Main question is can I get away with a strait track bar and clear the diff and truss? Should I go inline on the axle side or offset? DO I need all these bends in it? JJ at each end or just one and a polly axle side?
If strait I have 1.5 DOM Cromo. I am rebuilding a spare axle and will swap all parts over weekend. Would like to have everything ready. I know i will probably need to cut to length and weld this TB at install time.

A strait trackbar would be fine. Having a short trackbar is certainly a downer, but the symptoms will not be as bad as you think

steering.jpg

With a bit more work, you can do with Richard posted up, the long trackbar does make a difference. In that WJ installation, the trackbar is just under 1" longer than the draglink. In the one I posted above, its about 4.5" shorter.

Cal, I've got the JKS OTA bracket. I really should figure out how to get a longer trackbar, on the highway, the manners are manageable, but not pleasant. No interference with a straight trackbar and the diff on mine at all.

I never saw any problems with mine.

Cut it off, and run to the inner C. ;)

so im relatively new to track bars so these may be a stupid questions. im planning out my new front axle build... the track bar and steering have yet to be decided on. i have a RE double shear body side track bar bracket, and a couple aftermarket track bar brackets kicking around, both are bent like the RE (one is an RE). that's not to say that i have to use them, i can easily make my own. however, i am unsure on the axle side mounting. if i do go to the c like Cal suggested, how important is it to be parellel to the drag link? as important as if you had a shorter track bar bracket going to the stock location? im spending a lot of money and time to get as much articulation as i can out of this thing and i'd hate to be hung up by the track bar, so im assuming longer is better in this case.
Is bump steer the biggest concern with track bar positioning? will hydaullic assist eliminate or help with the bump steer?

Having the angles match is absolutely most important.

After that is length.

it also helps performance to have them as close to level as possible, but that will be dictated by your steering config.

There's a point where massive articulation is a waste. The picture I posted with the trackbar next to the coil could just max out a 12" shock before binding. Longer would do more, but how are you going to utilize it?

Having the angles match is absolutely most important.

After that is length.

it also helps performance to have them as close to level as possible, but that will be dictated by your steering config.

There's a point where massive articulation is a waste. The picture I posted with the trackbar next to the coil could just max out a 12" shock before binding. Longer would do more, but how are you going to utilize it?
thanks for the info, i was afraid of that. as for being level, i remember they made a pretty big deal out of that with the panhard bar i put in the back of my mustang. same concept i guess.

as for the way richard has his, do you know if he moved his coil buckets back in order to clear the springs with the track bar?

I can tell you absolutely anything you want to know about that setup. That's on our KOH car.

The coils are centered over the tube yes. That's a Solid HP44 center section, tubed by Currie, TJ inner C's with Synergy JK balljoints and WJ knuckles.

2012-01-17_20-01-04_984.jpg

2012-01-17_20-02-19_312.jpg

All the pics you want here:

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/naxja/KOH2012/

You need to go back a half dozen pages or so.

dang im jealous. i've been trying to hunt down a hpd44 for a couple months. i have a lp d44 with flat tops kicking around i was going to scavange for the knuckles and an eaton elocker.
i guess my best bet is just to run the d30 as is for a while until i have the d44 and front coilovers.

You pretty much have to make one.

Its not as hard as it sounds, but there are a lot of guys here who would build you a housing for cash.

I have the RE HD TB and JKS OTA axle bracket (not that it really matters) as well. I just cut the bar at the axle bushing, grinded what was left of the tube off, shortened the tube, reshaped it to fit and rewelded it. It's been working fine for several years now. My bracket is mounted more inward of the coil bucket so the tube is parellel with the axle tube.

This is exactly what I have as well. So far, it works great.

You pretty much have to make one.

Its not as hard as it sounds, but there are a lot of guys here who would build you a housing for cash.
oh i have no problem with making one, but i cant even find the axle to start with. everytime i go to the junkyards, they're picked clean. i search CL a few times a day as well. the only ones i've found are 78-79 bronco axles with the crappy cast spring pertches.

I can tell you absolutely anything you want to know about that setup. That's on our KOH car.

The coils are centered over the tube yes. That's a Solid HP44 center section, tubed by Currie, TJ inner C's with Synergy JK balljoints and WJ knuckles.

2012-01-17_20-01-04_984.jpg

2012-01-17_20-02-19_312.jpg

All the pics you want here:

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/naxja/KOH2012/

You need to go back a half dozen pages or so.

do you think this could be done on a full width HP44 using crossover steering and high steer?

With high steer, the mount wouldn't be high enough. you'd need it to be above your knuckle.

even with... say, a flatter pittman arm, like a waggy one?

Not likely, no.

Look at this pic, the steering, and the inner C. you have inches of difference there. The trackbar mount needs to be way higher on a highsteer setup.

P1010005.jpg

Thread resurrection - sorry.

With the inner C mount for the track bar, can you give me all the details about the materials used, how it was welded, everything.

Apologies again for being demanding, I've just ripped off an axle mount on my RHD XJ with WJ steering setup and always disliked the short trackbar compared to draglink so want to do it right this time around.

Thanks very much in advance, James

Back