• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 9" disk swap e-brake ideas.

xj bmx

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm debating on what to do for brakes on my 9" swap. The disk kit I was planning on useing has no work of e-brake setup. So unless there is a way to add it I may just keep the drums.

What have you guys done? All I find in Serch is on disks for the 8.25 and 8.8.

There are tons of companies that make 9 inch parts. Maybe look into the hot rod world. It's a very popular axle.

I did for a minute, but the price for a full disk/ebrake setup was around 500. And all aftermarket parts. I'd like to stick to standard autopart store parts like the ruffstuff kit uses (bonco rotors Chevy calipers) or something of that sort

Look into using 8.8 explorer discs, that's what I run on my currie 9"

As far as cables, the lokar kit is the secks!

It isn't that popular, but I like Lincoln Mark VII discs The rotors are 10.5" or so and vented, and the calipers have the E-brake built in. It comes off an 8.8, so it will pretty much work the same as explorer stuff in terms of adapting it to your 9".

You can buy (I did) a complete brake setup for the axle from Currie. All new parts and it will work with your stock MC and proportioning valve. Brakes are one of the things that I will not run used parts on during a retrofit.

All used parts are suspect.

You can buy (I did) a complete brake setup for the axle from Currie. All new parts and it will work with your stock MC and proportioning valve. Brakes are one of the things that I will not run used parts on during a retrofit.

All used parts are suspect.

I respect your opinion, but I don't have any fear of using "used" parts. Just inspect and test your parts. The rear brakes don't take much abuse compared to the front and I would be very suprised to see a major failure that led to a catastrophic accident.

Considering that the JY brakes are likely newer than the existing brakes, if they pass a visual inspection, and the fluid looks decent I would run em. Good time to flush the whole system as well.

It isn't that popular, but I like Lincoln Mark VII discs The rotors are 10.5" or so and vented, and the calipers have the E-brake built in. It comes off an 8.8, so it will pretty much work the same as explorer stuff in terms of adapting it to your 9".

hmmm... can you take the disc brakes off the lincoln 8.8 and put them on the explorer 8.8?

i'm going to have to look into these. i never liked the drum style ebrake for the explorer 8.8 discs

Careful... This might depend on the 9" in question. I have a 9" out of a Torino (or something like that :rolleyes:) and I used Crown vic disk brakes while other different 9" axles can use exploder disk brakes.

IIRC big bearing 9" axles can run the exploder disks. Small bearing axles can (with other mods) use crown vic disks.

I do remember reading about the Mark VII disks when I was doing my upgrade but I don't recall which version 9" those work on. Plus the hardware for the Mark VII stuff is more expensive (compared to crown vic parts or exploder parts) so I'm not sure I'd go that route.

There are two very different and incompatable ends to the Ford 9" axle housing. Usually referred to as small and "Torino" bearing ends. The Torino is the large bearing version you want. Do a quick Google on the axle and you will see what I am referring to.

The setup I use has the park brake contained inside of the rotor hat. I used a cable kit from Lokar (from Speedway Automotive) to make the connection between the e-brake linkage splitter of the Heep to the axle. Even though the parts supplied were alleged to play nice together, I had to slim down the conenction point on the axle to get the cable end to fit. No big deal, just a couple of minutes with a die grinder. It was one of those almost, not quite fits you get when mixing parts.

What year explorer do the discs come off of? I too have a ford 9" (big bearing) and figure since it's off the Jeep I might as well swap the drums for discs. I also need e brake cables, my existing ones are already so taught from the splitter to the 8.25 drums that I am afraid if I do any offroad driving the cables will rip out of the drums or the splitter. The lokar kits are 160 bucks? Is there a less costly alternative or is that pretty standard?

Some Mark IVs have the big bearing 9" ends with disc breaks and built in ebrakes.....I have pulled a could, makes putting discs and ebrakes on a 9" cake.

I too am looking to put disk brakes w/e brake on my 9in. It is out of a 77 F150 witch style would it be?

Thanks

From what I've read you should have the big bearing 9in. Also from what I have read the 95-2001 explorer rear discs should fit. I am trying to get some myself, but the local junk yard won't sell me just the disc assy. They won't part out the backing plates. wtf. So, I'm not really looking to buy an entire 8.8. On the bright side, the entire 8.8 is only 200.00 ish.

Back