• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 T-Case Compatability Question

Glenn B

Member #69
NAXJA Member
89, 4.0, AW4 242.

VERY long days at work, no chance to do my own research. Heading to bed for a few hours before I have to be in again in the morning, so forgive me if this has been covered a bazzilion times.

Need to replace my 242. I would like to know what other donor vehicles has as close to bolt in as possible t-cases. I would consider a 231 swap, but will only have one day off in the next 10, and need to source and swap that same day. Without changing prop shafts.

Thanks again for any info.

pretty much the only case that will work without mods is a 242 from another XJ. and I wouldn't get one from a JY.

what is wrong with your case? a rebuild kit can be had for not much money, especially compared to a new case.

a 231 swap is pretty simple, all it really requires is getting the right length input shaft (the short one) and a new shift indicator plug.

like said, only an 87-90 t-case will work. getting a 231 in there wont be much work. simply a different shifter gate and bezel to go with it. the case has to be a 21 spline input. rebuilding it isnt all that hard and can be done in a day. thats the route i went

Thanks guys.
No, not rebuilding this one. It is broke. :) I posted a vid of it on Non-Tech (Put a Fork In It).
Wife has been searching for one while I am at work, but most seem to be Grand 242's at the local yards.

If I have to do a 231, I will. But will also need a rear driveshaft with the correct lenght for the D44.

Back