• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Fixed RC LCAs causing a clunking sound

FleXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 01 with a 4" lift. Right after the lift, I did new Discos, new Axle U joints, and 4 new ball joints up front. It drove good. After I Installed the RC Arms, it now "clunks" when I turn and when I shift to reverse. It feels like it is coming directly from the arms as if they were not bolted in at all. Yet they are tight as can be. Any thoughts? thanks

Bolt size should be a non-issue if the bolts are torqued correctly. They do not actually take the load, the bushing does.

Kinda sounds like a loose track bar.

The Rough Country instructions say to re use stock bolts. They seemed to fit well. My track bar is new as well but wouldn't it have to have one of the nuts like 1/2 way off to be clunking like it is ? It can feel the clunk in the floor more directed around the LCAs. And it does it just shifting in reverse sometime without Turning making me think less the track is the issue. Dang :-(

Did the caster adjustment hardware get reinstalled with the new control arms? The "hole" for the bolt is a slot otherwise.

Flex, no, it only takes a small bit of movement to create that "Clunk". The bolts don't hold the arms or track bar in place, the pressure that the bolts exert on the mount squeeze the bushing between the mounting plates and make the joint solid. If you failed to torque the bolts enough, the bushing will move, and you will hear a "Clunk".

Because it is a unibody, the "noise" will travel though out the chassis. You just happen to be sitting near the mounting point of the front hardware.

Check both upper and lower Trackbar mounting points. Make sure upper point is not wallowed out where the stud goes though. If you replaced the upper mount, make sure it is torqued correctly.
Check both upper and lower CA mounting points, at the axle and the chassis.

The adjustment points Larsen points out are on the Chassis side of the LCA. I have not seen them drop out of the mount on an install, but if they came up missing (like you actually removed them on purpose), the LCA mount would not be a hole, but a slot.

Do the new arms have RC's flex joints? If so it is the flex joints. You can try their rebuild kits, but I haven't had good success with their joints.

no its the brand new Clevite style bushings, super strong.

LCA mount would not be a hole, but a slot
It appeared as if they stayed put as the bolt fit tight and there was nothing on the ground.

Check the Trans. mount bolts.
I could see that for the clunk in reverse, but would that affect turning as well? I will double check everything regardless...

Back