• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Odd stock 4wd actuator

ecgtech

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I finally found pictures. Years ago I looked at a 1986 XJ that had this really odd 2wd/4wd switch in the center console. I always wondered about it and never saw another one like it in person or online. And now there's one on Ebay.

Here's the Link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986...9?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3372a478a5#v4-48

Could someone who really knows their stuff tell me what the deal is with this switch? Was it an aftermarket option? Factory? Special option? Looks like it only gives the options that regular command-trac gives, but I'm curious none the less.

Thanks,

ECGTECH

Looks like its got the 2.8 chevy in it, xj's with the 2.8 came with the np207 transfercase, never seen a np207 personally, guess that's how the 4wd selector is set up in them.

Found this floating around the webs.

NP228/NP229 - "Selec-Trac"

The NP228/229 transfer cases were Jeeps first transfer cases to receive the "Selec Trac" name, the later Selec Trac transfer case being the NP242. Both the NP228 and NP229 offer 2 wheel drive, Full Time 4 wheel drive in High range and Part Time 4 wheel drive in Low range. The NP228 uses an open differential for its front/rear power split in 4WD Fulltime High, the NP229 uses viscous coupling for its front/rear split in 4WD Fulltime High. Both lock the front/rear output shafts in 4 wheel drive in Low range. Both lack a 4 wheel drive Part Time High range mode.

The NP228 was offered in '85-'87 XJ Cherokees.

The NP228/229 use 2 controls for its various modes. A vacuum switch controls 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive. A shift lever controls High or Low range.

yup. same basic set up as the np229 used in the fsj's. 2wd/4x4 is selected with a vacuum switch, then hi/lo/n are selected with a regular manual lever.

Just bought a 1985 xj woody that has the same deal and used it for Winterfest. (because my usual rig blew the motor)

Apparently its a vacuum type switch that works on a plunger like thing under the switch (seperate from the vehicle vacuum lines) it hisses when you switch it .

The Transfer can shift to Low in 2wd as well

That V6 is SLOW btw

Back