• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with 0331 head and block rebuild.

Cher O'key

NAXJA Forum User
I suffered some of the 0331 head problems. I was planning on getting a new head from Alabama Cylinder or the other company in Florida. Trying to get my block set. I was wondering if there is a way to clean the piston heads without removing them. I put pictures below.

100_3952.jpg

100_3954.jpg

100_3953.jpg

If that were my engine, I would not use any solvent. I would scrape it off dry and use a Shop Vac while scraping. You don't want the rings to flood out with carbon!!! Clean it up dry, prep the gasket surface VERY CAREFULY with a razor blade and get it back on the road!! :yelclap:

Best of luck!
XJR

I've used acetone on a rag to get things clean, but it takes a lot of acetone since evaporates quickly. Just soak the rag and wipe it clean using a shop vac for the bigger chunks of carbon deposit.

I thought about the shopvac dry route. I was thinking maybe a brass or steel brush. Or dremel with wire brush attachment on low.

The Seafoam stuff looks like it is more suited for a running engine that can be brought to temperature according to the website.

I think I still need to pull my cam and check the lobes for any damage or wear. It's a pain though.

Stuff some strong string down the gap around the piston and cylinder wall. This will help
loosened carbon from falling into that area.

Carefully brush on (not spray) Easy-Off oven cleaner on the tops of the pistons and let
soak overnight. Re-apply often. Do not let any get down to the rings.

Take a sharpened popsicle stick and carefully scrape off the carbon. I've also used a
thin putty knife (pushing at a very shallow angle) with success. Try to work from the
edges towards the center of the piston tops in order to minimize getting loose carbon
bits down in-between the piston and cylinder walls (that stuff is as hard as glass and can
scratch things up if too much gets wedged between the cylinder wall and piston).

Carefully remove the rope and vacuum, wipe, and chase out any loose bits (flat toothpicks help here).

Back