• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

S&W Roll Cage question

DubbyDoo

NAXJA Forum User
im looking into getting a roll cage for the jeep and was trying to find an installed picture of there cage does anyone have any or know where to look thanks!

for the sake of not starting a similar thread, is there any room behind the dash to put the cage down further toward the windshield? obviously some fab work needed, but can it be done relatively easy? i would like to have the leg room for easy entrance/exit, and also not block the air vents and such. (renix era). i have yet to actually remove the dash to figure it out. anyone done this?

There's absolutely room for it, you're just going to sacrifice your outer A/C vents most likely, and it's a LOT more fab work. I ran mine down behind the dash, the issue with mine though was that I also wanted to run my cross bar under the dash. This was purely for aesthetics and is not recommended IMO if you're keeping the stock dash, I am not.

I believe AppleValleySlim on here bought an '01 with a cage through the dash, it was done nicely. I've also seen a handful of early body style XJ's with the a-pillar tubes through the dash.

well i would rather have the bolt in one over nothing, but that is a different thread. i do plan to remove the dash anyhow for a complete interior swap so i will need to see how much fab work is needed. and what would be sacrificed. i do like T&Js cage design, but i again would like it to go through the dash. my dilemma is that i would like to use 1.75" tube, but i only have either the 1.50" and 2" dies for my jd2 bender. after buying the $300 die, shipping, and tubing, it may be more economical to just buy the T&J cage. (T&J uses 1.75"). i know the ideal design would be to do an exo cage, but i just can not talk the wife into it yet. she thinks they look funny. maybe if i take her out to see all the jeeps with them out there she will change her mind.

I also would never trust it in a roll over... There have been many failed Rock Hard cages in Wrangers.

Seen any photos backing this up? If so, please forward.

I have concerns about bolt-in cages too, but haven't been able to find any actual pictures of one's that failed, .i.e, the cage punching thru the floor due to improper plating, tubes bending or rotating aroung the clamp joints and causing injury to the driver or passengers during a flop or roll.

I have wheeled in a jeep with the S&W cage. It wasent the best fit for someone over 6' tall but for the cheap money and for a shorter driver its a great value.

well i would rather have the bolt in one over nothing, but that is a different thread. i do plan to remove the dash anyhow for a complete interior swap so i will need to see how much fab work is needed. and what would be sacrificed. i do like T&Js cage design, but i again would like it to go through the dash. my dilemma is that i would like to use 1.75" tube, but i only have either the 1.50" and 2" dies for my jd2 bender. after buying the $300 die, shipping, and tubing, it may be more economical to just buy the T&J cage. (T&J uses 1.75"). i know the ideal design would be to do an exo cage, but i just can not talk the wife into it yet. she thinks they look funny. maybe if i take her out to see all the jeeps with them out there she will change her mind.

why are you set on 1.75? 1.5" is plenty

35965.jpg

no a pillar bars in that kit for the wranglers? or is it just the angle of the pic?

i can only assume thier cherokee kit with the a pillar bars and an actual roof will hold up much better than the wrangler

well I pulled the trigger 400 shipped for the 10 point cage I dont plan on putting the door bars in tho

I'm a bit late but another vote for the T&J cage here.

This thing went together perfectly... It looks good and you could easily modify the a-pillars to go where you want them.

You can kinda see how well it fits in this picture.

2012-02-04_15-28-18_70.jpg

i know the ideal design would be to do an exo cage, but i just can not talk the wife into it yet. she thinks they look funny. maybe if i take her out to see all the jeeps with them out there she will change her mind.

You should listen to your wife.

Last edited:
Back