• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d44 r&p carrier question

IDXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry about my wording it may not be the correct terms. I am trying to get the shaft out that is in between the spider gears. I know there is a screw in there but mine does not appeat to have one. I am trying to install a lock right so as far as I know I need to take that shaft out. I also want to take the shafts out and inspect them but not real sure how. See pictures below for what the hell I am talking about. If anyone lives in Las Vegas and would like to lend a hand I am always willing to accept help.
d44_rp_1.jpg

d44_rp_2.jpg

Its a roll-pin and you need to drive it out with a drift punch.

The rear 44 I pulled from a 95' Rodeo didn't have a screw. The ford HP44 I have didn't have a screw either. I'm pretty sure it depends on the automobile's manufacturer. It's nothing to worry about, unless you can see threads in the pin hole and no pin. I think I remember seeing the 70's and 80's chev front 44's using a screw or maybe it was the dodge 44's. It's been a while since I looked at those fronts, so I might be wrong all together. The ford pin came out really easy, I didn't use much force to drive the pin out.

RCP Phx said:
Its a roll-pin and you need to drive it out with a drift punch.

Remove carrier
Remove ring gear
"whack out" roll pin with a proper sized cylindrical device (too small and you will expand the roll pin making it tighter)
then "whack out" the cross shaft
The spider gears will fall out everywhere

Back