• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 driveshaft yoke question

Pz10420

NAXJA Forum User
So here is my situation...I have an 8.25 that I bought off of Craigslist. It is supposedly out of a 96 with a 2.5L in it. It has 4.10 gears. My xj is a 98 with a 4.0L and 3.55 gears. I have already swapped my 29 spline shafts and the brakes from my 98 into this axle. Everything has gone good so far. This morning I start bolting the axle in and go to bolt up the driveshaft and the yoke is totally different. It is for a larger diameter u-joint and it does not have the u-joint locators like my original axle. Did XJs have different style yokes? and what is the best way for me to correct this? Can i just pull the yoke from my original axle and swap it in or will the mess up the pinion gear set up?
Thanks
Pete

there were two different yokes used on the 8.25, one was 2.75" long, the other was 3".

maybe the tabs broke off this other yoke? they both used 1310 series u-joints.

That's what I thought. But this one definetly different then the other ones I've seen.
c6e4dc06-c52c-fcb6.jpg

You'll need to make sure you get the pinion preload right if you swap yokes (don't ask me how I know this....)

That looks like a 1330 yoke. I also don't see the cap locating tabs, either. If they aren't there, I wouldn't use it.

I believe if you look up Yukon gear, they have a pdf of how to set up gears, which includes preload.

The PO might have converted to a 1330 strap style joint for some reason

You can buy a 1330-1310 u-joint, might work short-term

I would replace the yoke based on what I see and what you are saying

Whats the reason that you think that this would just be a short term solution?

Back