• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help on Track Bar bracket

Explorer 1

NAXJA Forum User
Death Wobble started up again, I isolated it to the track bar bracket on the axle side.

It appears that the bolt had worked itself loose and now has elongated the hole on the inner side.

What a mess!

Beside all the work to cut the welds remove the bracket then re-weld on a new one anyone out there have a somewhat easier solution.

Much thanks is advance!

Fred
Explorer 1

IMG_1217.jpg

IMG_1218.jpg

drill the holes and bushing in the track bar out to match... add a new bolt.

if your running a hard joint like a johny or heim, weld in some washers with the bolt size you want.

get rid of the stock bolt, ive found that the shank isnt long enough, and threads sit in the mount. i think this is why they work loose and wallow out.

The Heim joint is a good idea, I have the current rubber bushing that comes with the Rubicon Express track bar, it has a steel sleeve in it. I assume I could find either a Johnny joint or Heim to fit inside instead of the rubber bushing, or would I need to cut off the end and weld on another to accommodate the Heim?

The enlongated rear hole is 14mm at it's widest point.

IMG_1220.jpg

Thanks for the ideas,

Fred
Explorer 1

short term fix

Thanks for all the help!

For now I drilled out both holes to 9/16th's. There was enough metal on the sleeve to do the same.

I then used a grade 8, 9/16th bolt with just enough shank to go through both axle mount holes.

65 lbs torque and it seems to have removed any movement. When more time on had I'm going to look into welding on a heim joint.

Thanks again,
Fred
Explore 1

Re: short term fix

Thanks for all the help!

For now I drilled out both holes to 9/16th's. There was enough metal on the sleeve to do the same.

I then used a grade 8, 9/16th bolt with just enough shank to go through both axle mount holes.

65 lbs torque and it seems to have removed any movement. When more time on had I'm going to look into welding on a heim joint.

Thanks again,
Fred
Explore 1
thats what i did to mine. added a lock nut. recheck it after a few miles.

and i hope you mean weld on a threaded insert for a heim. ;)

Fred, tack weld the head of the bolt to the bracket, it will keep things from moving in the future. I did this on mine, and it works like a charm, and is easy enough to grind off should you need to remove it.

~ Stump

Back